Use real name or online name when responding?

mfan

Suppose, on an online dating site, my username is GreenPickle and I'm writing to a girl named PinkTickle for the first time.

Should I call myself GreenPickle in my email? After how many emails is it appropriate to tell someone my real name? How do I bring it up? Just say, "by the way, my name is Bob?"

Why do colleges make you learn the number of electrons in an oxygen atom, but not useful information like how to do online dating? (something which science majors are likely to need anyway...) Thanks very much

Suppose, on an online dating site, my username is GreenPickle and I'm writing to a girl named PinkTickle for the first time.

Should I call myself GreenPickle in my email? After how many emails is it appropriate to tell someone my real name? How do I bring it up? Just say, "by the way, my name is Bob?"

Why do colleges make you learn the number of electrons in an oxygen atom, but not useful information like how to do online dating? (something which science majors are likely to need anyway...) Thanks very much

Colleges aren't that good when it comes to common sense... that's why. Most of the stuff you learn in the first 2 years won't be of any use for you in life anyways... but you still pay for it and learn it just to jump through hoops so you can get started on your real major.

I don't think it would hurt to say your name... not your last name, but first name can't hurt anything... right? Short but sweet emails are the best, just enough to peak some interest if it's there... if not, you didn't waste too much time typing it out.

Alot of guys sign their name at the end i.e......take care, bob x .

I on the otherhand am less forthright and just say...take care x. and I generally stick to that until I decide to meet the person. Its up to your comfort level I suppose but do give it before you meet.

Grren pickle.. lol. What kind of name is that? I dunno. You could use your real first name, but I'd keep your last name out of it. You never know on those dating sites.

I only told them such a personal thing as my real name, if I'd chatted to them for a while and then it was only my forename they knew. Personal details are not something Im willing to share and with all and sundry who pose a mere interest.

None ever got to know my surname.....except for the guy Im with now. Surnames are DEFINITLEY not something I reveal.

Nah, I wouldn't use my online name when introducing myself to someone online. It sounds kind of cheesy to me lol. Just sign the message with your first name. That's what I do.

Archived