Digging a hole to China with a spoon (depression)

I feel like I'm digging a hole to China with a spoon. Been back at work for 2 days now and it's excruciatingly difficult. Everyone says it's great to see me back and whatnot, but my co-workers (those who share the same job as I do) are feeling stressed b/c they are having to pick up a bunch of my slack. While I know this is the case, it's very difficult for me because it's not like I'm lazy, I literally cannot perform some of my job functions because of my crutches. While I would do the same for them if they were in my position, I also empathize with the fact that they are doing MORE than I can do.

As if that's not bad enough, my yard is going to crap, I'm having trouble keeping up with the house chores, it takes me an hour to bathe myself, I can feel my body from becoming soft and fat from such a low activity level, and it's around 102 degrees every day this week with no end in sight. Uggghhh. The heat makes me sweat, the salty sweat gets into my incisions from my surgery and causes great pain... literally salt in the wounds.

Everything is so difficult. I get so tired so easily. I feel like I'm not able to keep up with my own life right now. So all these external things are really messing with my mood. I'm trying hard to stay positive, but having great difficulty. I feel myself walking that fine line of depression...

-Kevin

Instead of focusing on the negative, look at what you can do now that you couldnt a few days ago. Focus on the achievements. You will be able to exercise again soon and things will look up.

As far as the co-workers take them in some bagels or something to show your appreciation. They will enjoy them and it will show that their extra effort is not going unnoticed.(Although I am sure you have told them you appreciated their work)

Instead of focusing on the negative, look at what you can do now that you couldnt a few days ago. Focus on the achievements. You will be able to exercise again soon and things will look up.

As far as the co-workers take them in some bagels or something to show your appreciation. They will enjoy them and it will show that their extra effort is not going unnoticed.(Although I am sure you have told them you appreciated their work)

I agree with the above. Great idea! (owb, I wanted to rep you, but it wouldn't let me).

OP: Do you have any help at home? Someone who can clean up for you and do general chores etc?

I hear you guys... I do indeed have a great deal in my life to be thankful for; perhaps I feel this way because it's my first broken bone. I know anything is bearable if temporary, but this injury just has me at a snails pace. I'm usually much much more active. OWB, I really can't think of anything positive that has come or will come from this injury. I'm going to set off metal detectors and have 2 cool scars? Yeah, I suppose, but it's hard to be happy about that right now!

I wish I had someone to come home to Just me and the dogs and their new buddy the Roomba, lol. Friends have offered to help, but I'm so damned independent that I have trouble accepting help. They're so busy with their own lives, I feel bad for asking for anything.

-Kevin

i'm sorry i can't be there to help

I agree with OWB. take them a token of your appreciation. that'll probably do a world of good! and it may make you feel better as well.

PS--how do the dogs like the Roomba? I can only imagine how Leeluu would react to taht!

I hear you guys... I do indeed have a great deal in my life to be thankful for; perhaps I feel this way because it's my first broken bone. I know anything is bearable if temporary, but this injury just has me at a snails pace. I'm usually much much more active. OWB, I really can't think of anything positive that has come or will come from this injury. I'm going to set off metal detectors and have 2 cool scars? Yeah, I suppose, but it's hard to be happy about that right now!

I wish I had someone to come home to Just me and the dogs and their new buddy the Roomba, lol. Friends have offered to help, but I'm so damned independent that I have trouble accepting help. They're so busy with their own lives, I feel bad for asking for anything.

-Kevin

I am so sorry but I couldnt help but laugh at the bolded line. Before my SO was my SO he used to say all the time after he got injured and I asked him if was ok "Chicks dig scars". So maybe there is a bright side there?

Dont feel bad for asking, they offered for a reason. They are your friends and would not want you to feel this way. Take them up on their offer.

Since physical activity for you is limited right now, how about some mental stimulation? Try some Sudoku puzzels or invite the pals over for game night.

How long will he cast be on?

Smudders... Crash just kinda looks at it and turns his head sideways like dogs do when they're trying to understand, then sniffs the trail of the Roomba. Mavis likes to dance right in front of it then scurry away when it gets too close for comfort. So funny. They're getting used to it now... well, a little bit, but they are truly fascinated! Gotta love dogs.

OWB, maybe you're right. I mean, I'd totally help my friends if they had a broken ankle. It's just really hard for me to take anyone's help. I seriously considered driving myself to the hospital when it happened.

The chicks I like dig scars

-Kevin

The chicks I like dig scars

-Kevin

See there is a bright side to everything!!!

That line still cracks me up! So what are you waiting for? Plan a Friday night game/movie night! One day to do the invites and get things in order, and another day to shop for snacks. You have it all under control!

hey,

found for myself that when i was depressed i had a tendency to hold myself to impossible standards that i would never impose on others. used to just think it was a part of who i was. definitely wasn't the case. i found that a lot of the time, just by acknowledging how irrational i was being, my moods

took a change for the better. the more aware i became of the thought patterns...the more the intensity of the thoughts were diminished.

dunno if that makes sense.

cheers.

Archived