Puppy Attachment

smiles21

Morning All,

(Turbo is almost 11 weeks old)

I've noticed with our new puppy that he basically never leaves our side when home around the house. I know Chi's are very attached to their owners, but even when I go to do laundry downstairs and shut the door behind me he cries and cries and runs around looking for someone.

Is there anything we can do to try to make him less co-dependant?

Last night we put him in the kitchen with his bed/food/water and closed the door. It was too hard to sleep at night with him in the bed. I woke up this morning at 6:45am for work and heard him crying. I suppose we have to get him into a routine.

Also, he is our only animal, and when he's left alone he doesn't have anyone else. I feel terrible leaving him alone but its impossible for us to be there 24/7. I wish we had another dog or a cat so he would have some company. I know puppies aren't supposed to be alone too much in the beggining.

Thanks for the advice in advanced, I just get frustrated and want to raise him right!

He will get used to it..but I would suggest that when you are home you don't shut the door on him. He needs to feel that you are around even if he isn't in the same room. Shutting the door isolates him and therefore heightens his stress. Make his "room" comfortable but leave the door open so he can hear you and be "on guard" as well. Dogs like to protect their owners and closing the door on him makes him feel vulnerable and that he can't "protect" his people. If he tries to come into your room when you go to bed, bring him back to his room and tell him to stay. Eventually he will get used to it.

He will get used to it..but I would suggest that when you are home you don't shut the door on him. He needs to feel that you are around even if he isn't in the same room. Shutting the door isolates him and therefore heightens his stress. Make his "room" comfortable but leave the door open so he can hear you and be "on guard" as well. Dogs like to protect their owners and closing the door on him makes him feel vulnerable and that he can't "protect" his people. If he tries to come into your room when you go to bed, bring him back to his room and tell him to stay. Eventually he will get used to it.

I apreciate the advice. But there is no way in heck we would get ANY sleep at all if he was able to wander around. And he would not stay if we kept trying to put him back in his bed. The kitchen is fairly small (150sq ft?), but I understand the concept of what your trying to say.

I apreciate the advice. But there is no way in heck we would get ANY sleep at all if he was able to wander around. And he would not stay if we kept trying to put him back in his bed. The kitchen is fairly small (150sq ft?), but I understand the concept of what your trying to say.

What about crating him at night for a few months until he gets accustomed to the kitchen being the place he will sleep at night. This way you can keep the door open.

What about crating him at night for a few months until he gets accustomed to the kitchen being the place he will sleep at night. This way you can keep the door open.

That's an idea... my GF had a chihuahua before this and she said she kitchen trained her old dog. You dont think he likes having free roam of the kitchen at night?

That's an idea... my GF had a chihuahua before this and she said she kitchen trained her old dog. You dont think he likes having free roam of the kitchen at night?

Of course dogs will prefer to roam free rather than be in a cage..but roaming free in a completely shut room far away from his human "parents" and being disconnected from the rest of the apartment because of that closed door can be far more disconcerting to the dog. Also, your dog could start acting up in his distress by chewing on things and creating damage in the kitchen. Years ago when I had my first dog I was crating him because he was destructive. I had him neutered so right after the surgery he had one of those Elizabethan Collars (looks like a giant lamp shade around the neck of the dog which prevents the dog from being able to access and lick the region of surgery). Since that collar is so big he could not fit in the cage so while I was at work I let him roam free in the bathroom with the door closed. He was not a happy camper...he damaged the blinds, chewed the baseboard, tore a chunk of the toilet paper etc. I was told by others that leaving a dog in a closed room is not the greatest idea because it prevents the dog from "protecting" their loved ones and the premises.

Chihuahuas are very attached dogs... ours follow us around all the time, especially if we're headed towards the kitchen. LOL While it is normal for them to follow, it is NOT normal for them to absolutely freak out if you leave the room.

I'd start training yours to Sit and Stay. You will have to start small by having him sit and then back up a few feet. If he stays, then praise him like crazy and call him to you. Keep at it, each time moving farther away. Eventually you can probably tell him to stay and go do your thing. This will help ease his anxiety because he knows you'll be back.

Archived