New puppy.. sleeping issue.

smiles21

Hi guys,

First, I want to say this is my first chihuahua, he's 9 weeks old and we just recieved him last week. He is so adorable and he's been really good so far. My GF had a chi previously so she has some idea on training.

First, he only went the bathroom (#2) once in the house so far! I bring him outside and plop him in the grass and he usually pee's all by himself, he's been very good about that and we praise him when he pee's outside. We are going to continue with the outdoor training.

Second, this weekend was his first weekend with us and we didn't want to leave him alone at all, so my GF worked, I was home from work this weekend. I did go out Sunday for a couple hours, I kept him locked in the kitchen with his food/water and his blanket/toys. If we put Turbo in the kitchen for the night and close the door, should we put his food/water up on the table for the night (out of his sight/reach) or leave it down there with him? This is OK correct? I feel so bad leaving him alone because he cries!!! I know we obviously cant be there 100% of the time, but in the young puppy stage I wasn't sure the best way to handle this.

Third, the major issue. Sleeping. My GF's previous chi slept in bed with us, he was fine, slept through the night and got up in the morning and went the bathroom. Now we attempted this with this dog but he is waking up several times through the night and awaking us. I know it's bad to have your dog sleep in bed, be he would sleep next to my GF. What is the best plan of action here? Put him in the kitchen for the night and ignore his cries? Put him in his crate in the kitchen/bedroom? Thoughts? I want to train him right, but I need to sleep at night!!!

Also, this thing is ATTACHED to me! I'm fine with it but I wasn't sure if it was normal for him to follow me everywhere!!! image removed

Thanks for the help guys, this is my first puppy.

Get a small crate. Put an article of clothing that you've worn into the crate (like an old t-shirt). This helps calm the dog and with your scent there, he'll most likely sleep through the night.

Crates should be the dog's "den" and never used as a punishment. Get him used to sleeping in there and after a while, he'll go there on his own to sleep. You won't even need to shut the door.

he's 9 weeks old, still a baby and he will need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. You can train him with puppy pee pads so that if he has to go during the night, he will pee on the pee pads. Up to you, or you can take him outside.

ALot of people will say it's ok to take food and water away after like 10:00 pm and then give it back to him at about 6:00 am, BUT he is still so young and puppies are like human babies in that they eat more frequently because their tummies are so small. If it were me, I would leave his food and water down and gate him in the kitchen with pee pads. If he has to go , he can go on the pads. Then once he's used to using the pee pads at night, have him sleep with you guys. That way if he needs to get up to pee, he can run to the kitchen and use the pee pad, then come back to bed.

As for following you around..perfectly normal. He is still getting used to you and his new momma. So he will be attached to you both, especially until he starts feeling more secure and confident.

Get a small crate. Put an article of clothing that you've worn into the crate (like an old t-shirt). This helps calm the dog and with your scent there, he'll most likely sleep through the night.

Crates should be the dog's "den" and never used as a punishment. Get him used to sleeping in there and after a while, he'll go there on his own to sleep. You won't even need to shut the door.

Thanks for the advice. The only thing we have now is the carrier he came with, it's a small cat kennell. Is this OK to use as a crate?

Here's the problem, my bed is probably 3-4 feet off the ground, no way he can make the jump safely and not injure himself. He would definitely start breaking bones. I could lock him in the kitchen with the pee pads and his food until hes maybe 15 weeks old or so...

I assumed the following around was normal, I did notice he wants to come to me more than my GF, which is slightly odd.

It will suffice for now, but you may need to get something a little larger once the doglet starts growing. However, don't make to TOO large as it looses the importance of feeling like he's in his own "den". Once he's full grown, he should be able to stand up and turn around comfortably in the crate.

Here's the problem, my bed is probably 3-4 feet off the ground, no way he can make the jump safely and not injure himself. He would definitely start breaking bones. I could lock him in the kitchen with the pee pads and his food until hes maybe 15 weeks old or so...

If it were me in the situation I would buy him a little device to use as a step stool - like an ottoman or something- so he could get on the bed- and I'd let him sleep with me.

Just like with parenting kids- some pet owners believe in "co-sleeping" and others do not, I guess.

All pets I've had were always welcome on my bed. To me one of the points of having them is to cuddle. lol

Start the puppy on the kennel right now. You can get a kennel just about anywhere. The wire ones work best. My GF and I tried the whole sleeping with us stuff which was fine at first. In till he learned to jump off the bed then he went to chewing clothes that we left beside the bed. or in the laundry hamper, He got my glasses of the night table. We also tried locking him in the kitchen while we were gone to the store he scratched the cabinets and the door. Left him out one time he got the mini blinds. Its best to get him kennel trained right from the get go. It will make your life so much easier.

If it were me in the situation I would buy him a little device to use as a step stool - like an ottoman or something- so he could get on the bed- and I'd let him sleep with me.

Just like with parenting kids- some pet owners believe in "co-sleeping" and others do not, I guess.

All pets I've had were always welcome on my bed. To me one of the points of having them is to cuddle. lol

Bella,

Problem is he still wouldn't make it up, when he gets a little older he may be able to jump up, but not yet.

A kennel should be large enough for them to sit up straight and stretch, but not so large that they can go to the bathroom in it. Dogs don't like to stay where their bathroom is so if the kennel is too large, it will pee/poop in one side and lie down on the other side.

The crying will continue if you cater to him, but you can help break this by adding a t-shirt (or article that smells like you) in his kennel. Also fill a water bottle with warm (not too hot!) water, put it in a sock and put that in his kennel. It stimulates the heat/feel of his mother and will help calm him.

A puppy that age can't go more than a few hours without having to go to the bathroom. When we got our 3rd Chi (Rufus) at 7 weeks old, we had him in his own small kennel in our bedroom. He'd whine when he had to go, so we'd take him outside. Once he knew that small kennel as "his" we moved it to the guest room and never had a problem. The other two Chi's we have share a large kennel next to his. Now at the end of the evening, when we start turning out lights, all three just run to their respective kennels... it's cute.

Chi's are very attached... they will follow you around. It only becomes a problem if they start to get stressed out and anxiety-ridden when you leave. You should be able to leave them in a room without them freaking out. If not, you should start training them to "stay" in one room while you go to another.

Archived