I read these quite often and i see there are many sad or depressed people here. A bit of advice from me (maybe it won't work for you) listen to music. I've never been truly depressed but i have been sad. Music really helps.

Try to find something you like. Not the type of music that you listen to to make you seem cool that everyone listens to, but something that sends shivers down your spine and makes you smile out of pure joy of hearing these sounds.

Different music works for different people. Coldplay and Red Hot Chili Peppers does it for me. I just start smiling and thinking positively about everything in life.

Trusts me this helps. I got rejected by a girl i was sure liked me, but i waited 2 years to ask her out. When i got rejected i was really sad. Lying down on my bed and listening to my CDs really helped.

I agree with your idea. Music helps me when I'm sad also. I mostly listen to slow stuff. It helps me cry (as weird as it might seem). Its good to cry though, it helps get your emotions out instead of bottling them up inside. At least that always works for me. Great post!

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

Right after my break up, and still to this day...when I get really down...not jsut sad, but "whats living with this pain worth" type down. I throw in anything by OAR (Of a Revolution...) In particular their double live album "anytime now" They have this one song called "Crazy Game of Poker" it's about life...the song keeps getting longer and longer as their career goes on...it's great...Their music has so much perspective on life, and even their sad songs such as "she's gone" make me realize how good life really can be and is! Also a band called Dispatch, has some really good stuff, I think they broke up now, but check them out...If your really down, some stuff from the 80's always helps...esp. "ain't nothin but a good time" by Poison ( I know, I know...hair band...but it's just such fun music!)

Yay, Red hot Chili Peppers!!! Their music really picks me up when i am feeling down, it makes me realise how unimportant my problems are, its the good things that count! I also listen to REM and sometimes a bit of Aerosmith (depends on how i am feeling).

What music makes all you guys and gals on here feel better?

yeeearrrgh go Red Hot Chili Peppers!!!!. For me its not the words but the actual melody and how the notes are played, but then again i love all music and can play (almost) 4 instruments. I don't know how popular Coldplay is outside new zealand but they play very good music, and have quite good words for those that are after that. A bit of 'God Put A Smile Upon Your Face' will have you smiling in no time. Other good bands/musicians are Muse(don't know about it having nice words or a soothing melody but they still play very good music), Jet, Moby(listen to 'Run On' for a good laugh), Alien Ant Farm, REGGAE(all reggae songs are pleasant to listen to and they have very inspiring words. Bob Marley kicks Ar$@). Its not that i don't like this type of music, but most rap or hip hop doesn't have much soothing sounds or happy words (some do but not too many. Some might think i'm completely wrong, but that's just my opinion), I'm not much of a jazz fan but Norah Jones has good songs (Plus she's HOT )

Anyone want to list other good musicians?

You know what helped me? RAP music. I did this like 4 years ago when I split with my other ex of 4+ years. I remember at first I was so pissed, and angry and wanted to vent. I used to never listen to RAP or HIP HOP. Then one day I put in Dr. Dre's Chronic 2000 album, and some Snoop Dogg. Then started getting everything else.

White people music is always about love, wanting her back or missing her, and the ideal that love is. its usually this stuff that you don't want to listen to when you break up. It always deals with the same topics and not with reality. Rap music is usually about reality, women cheating, guys being players, money, power and life being tough.

When you go through that phase when you hate your ex, or you think chicks are HOs, or you need to pick yourself up some good rap is just the key to your salvation.

I have never broken up with a girl because i have never had a girlfriend. I have been rejected many times, so taht might be why the words in rap don't make that much sense to me. As I said i look for the melody rather than the meaning of the words. As i listen to a song i tend to imagine things inspired by the music and not the words. Rap doesn't have that much melody in it and that might be because i don't listen much to rap. I need something i can sing along to, something to let my mind drift, and someone rapping doesn't tend to help me do this. I actually like some songs from Eminem, Cypress Hill, Bubba Sparxx but that's because they have a riff or melody you can try to mime while listening to it.

Also as some people said, music that makes them cry helps a lot. I just can't imagine crying to rap. Rap is good to listen to when you are full of energy and happy.

Also not all white music is about love at all. Have a listen to something like Red Hot Chili Peppers. That doesn't have very much stuff about love (okay, many of their songs do, but they aren't much about missing or wanting girls, but more just telling stories). Their songs tend to be about The meaning of life and how good life is, and about really strange things that don't make any sense. (In the song Californication, can someone please tell me what the word Californication is meant to represent?)

I think californication is a word which sums up the whole californian/hollywood lifestlye that is portrayed to the world through media. It is all about the glitz, glamour and beauty side of things that go on there, californication is really the only word which could describe that side of it.

Also, it is about false hope and dreams which arent likely to come true, "little girls from sweden dream of silver screen quotation", its describing the veil of illusion created by the media but in reality it is nothing like that.

Well with my situation I have found myself listening a lot to Coldplay and The Smiths. I prefer to listen to stuff I can identify with.

Although I still think by far the best song regarding how we are feeling was written by The Beatles.

For No One

Your day breaks, your mind aches

You find that all the words of kindness linger on

When she no longer needs you

She wakes up, she makes up

She takes her time and doesn't feel she has to hurry

She no longer needs you

And in her eyes you see nothing

No sign of love behind the tears

Cried for no one

A love that should have lasted years!

You want her, you need her

And yet you don't believe her when she said her love is dead

You think she needs you

Cried for no one

You stay home, she goes out

She says that long ago she knew someone but now he's gone

She doesn't need him

Your day breaks, your mind aches

There will be time when all the things she said will fill your head

You won't forget her

Cried for no one

This might sound kinda dorky but I simply cannot stay sad after hearing 'Octopus' Garden' by The Beatles. It's such a ridiculous song with such a simple, upbeat rhythm. It makes me feel so happy!

Music is therapeutic - find a song that picks you up and play it whenever you feel down.

I am right on with madcat.

I love songs that give out messages and that i can relate to. Without exadurating (spelling), i think music pulled me through my break up depression. Contrary to what Happy said, i found listening to break up songs that had emotional lyrics in them that i could relate to was awesome and helped me more then anything to move on and get the pain out. 'Gone' by nsync (i do actually hate pop and boy bands), 'how you gonna act like that' by Tyrese, and 'Luv u better' by LL Cool J really helped. Justin Timberlake's album was the best though, he wrote it when he broke up with his beautiful ex . I also listened alot to Enrique.

But if i was to advice anyone to a particular musician it would be 2pac. Though i love rap's format because the amount of lyrics and words one song allows, I hate gangster rap because its usually unrealistic. But 2pac really blew me away. Amidst all the rubbish 'thug talk', if you can pin-point the messages he makes and conclusions he comes up to, then you should figure out why he is so popular with those who pay attention to him. If you feel down and out and hate the world and pain, then i would really advise him. Hell, both my signatures are lyrics from his songs!

I don't know what i'd do if i didn't have music to listen.

• 5 months later...