Need advice: should I propose?

Hi! Propose to her if you're in love --- but as for her being able to work in the states legally takes a lot of money, papers, and a lot of time to get approved even if you get married. If you love her that much you'll be able to get a little extra income somehow, a casual part time job if needed, if there should be any other bills. But don't count on her being able to get a job any time soon in the US even with a degree, even if you're engaged or married - trust me I know this from experience!

Also, if she really loves you, she'll love any ring you get for her. Just try to make sure it's real so it lasts forever. Fake gold leaves a mark and fake diamonds lose their shine. There are real gold/diamond rings that are affordable $300-$500 for pretty nice ones.

And one more thing, just because you're engaged doesn't mean you have to get married instantly. You can take your time, and agree with each other you both want to save money to have the wedding of your dreams.

Maybe its just me but I think the cost of the engagement ring should be a side issue. The bigger question is why on earth are you having any sorts of problems making ends meet if you are pulling 6 figures?

If money is an issue, get engaged (if thats what you want) and tell her you want to wait for the wedding that you really want when you can afford it, or b you can do it sooner, but its gonna be a cheaper wedding.

This would be a great way to find out whether or not she is in it for the money/papers.

Just go get a 1/4 karat engagement ring and propose to her. After she says yes, then explain to her that you want to get her a bigger ring. Perhaps she can help you save for the ring and a lavish wedding. One of my buddies proposed to his wife with a little $300 engagement ring and then later bought her a big rock. His wife still wears the original engagement ring but its on her right finger.

Just keep in mind that a quality relationship has absolutely nothing to do with the size of a bank account or ring. It is all about heart. If she loves you, she will say yes to marrying you without even looking at the ring in the box.

I think there are definitely some girls who really would not care to get a smaller ring then a larger one later if it was possible. Others would be totally okay with the small one forever.

I think you should propose and then worry about the other stuff later. You might be surprised on what she says about the wedding once she knows you want to marry her!

Archived