My body and its weight have always been a sensitive issue for me. At my heaviest, I was 180 lbs--that was when I was 15. I'm 20 years old and I currently weigh around 140 lbs. I'm approximately 5'5, and have been for quite a while...I don't think there's any growing left to be done.

Anyways, over the past few years, I've been trying hard to keep my weight down. My freshman year of college, I dropped a bunch of weight because of my bicycle commute and a lack of funds for food. I stopped working out. Then I got a motorcycle and no longer had to commute with a bike...and...WHOOP! there came the weight, right back where it was.

So, here I am, at 140 lbs. This year, I told myself that I would start exercising again to regain the muscle that I used to have. To be honest, it's not even about the weight anymore. I went to a rugby practice with a friend and I was destroyed after about 30 minutes of warm-ups/playing. The worst part is that I was having fun, and I think I'd really enjoy the game...if only I had the stamina to run around for 40 minutes, non-stop. All I really want is to be in shape. If my body could do what those other girls' bodies could, I would be proud of it, even if it did have a few extra pounds of fat.

Part of me feels ashamed that I could not keep with all of them, but that part of me also feels resolved to do something about it. I don't want to be thin...I just want to be able to play a game of soccer, rugby, football, tennis--whatever it is.

well good luck. i feel your pain i am the heaviest ive ever been. Im 5'9" male with 190 on me. im 23 and im just out of shape. i dont look horrible just think atm and i am beat within no time when working out. its sad that i lost it but i plan on summiting a mtn in 2 years so i have to get on it its not a matter of looks ne more its a must. make there a specific goal so that you feel you have to or as always get friends in on the same stuff. workout together or do fun things that help DDR, frisbee or other things that might be a lil play too.

GL

hearts

xCOREx

Id suggest keep going, i mean its really so much easier to work out with friends or in a sport rather than solo, it will come over time.

One summer i decided that id ride my bike to every single weight lifting session for football during the summer (20-25miles one way). By the end of the summer and beginning of the season i was the star running back and in the best shape of my life.

Is your school relatively close?

campus is about a 1.5 hour bike ride away from my house. There's a gym that I can use right down the street. I do plan on working out but I just don't think I can go back to my friend's team. I felt ashamed of myself, and I'm certainly not going to join a team when I can hardly keep up. I usually hate running just for running's sake, but this time it's different. Before, it was just about losing weight--but this time, I want to push myself and my heart and my lungs. I want to run faster and longer. Then maybe I'll think of going to practice.

I found your post to be very genuine.

I have struggled with my weight and self-image for as long as I can remember, so I think I kind of know where you're coming from.

You should try getting involved with rugby. It's so much easier to workout when you actually enjoy it, instead of viewing it as a chore that must be done.

For me, eating right is the hardest part. Going out with friends and meeting new people, there is always an abundance of fatty foods (what happens more often, friends wanting to go out for a glass of water and apple slices or friends wanting to go out for a pint and hot-wings).

You do have the right attitude and you can do it!

campus is about a 1.5 hour bike ride away from my house. There's a gym that I can use right down the street. I do plan on working out but I just don't think I can go back to my friend's team. I felt ashamed of myself, and I'm certainly not going to join a team when I can hardly keep up. I usually hate running just for running's sake, but this time it's different. Before, it was just about losing weight--but this time, I want to push myself and my heart and my lungs. I want to run faster and longer. Then maybe I'll think of going to practice.

You could join a recreational league or play intermural, that would probably be easier. You might even be the best player on the team.

This is gonna sound lame, but youve just gotta force yourself to do it, its the hardest thing to do, hell im way outta shape right now because i have trouble forcing myself too. When i go to the gym i get on the treadmill, cover the display and set a time and pace to run at, i dont get off or look at my time till i am done. Most places have a TV situated close by so its even easier.

Some folks can do the treadmill/gym thing and stay in shape indefinitely. But then there are people that just get bored easily with the same 'ol routine. Perhaps you just need to devote some time to some creative thinking on what sorts of physical pursuits would be fun for you. For example, you could take up backpacking and schedule some weekend trips, you could do rock climbing at a local indoor climbing range, or there's white water rafting. You could also start a night-time ultimate frisbee game, take ballroom dance lessons, bike to a coffee shop in the morning, go mountain biking, help build houses for HFH, etc. The best thing for someone that gets bored with routine is to do a little bit of a lot of different things. Just think outside the box.

Archived