Graduation blues

iwishiknew

I will be graduating this Dec. This will be my second bachelor degree. I just feel awkward because I am not sure if I will find a job or not. This brings back memories when I graduated from my previous college in Dec 2003 and I was not able to get a job right away. It took me 2 years to find a job and after landing that job I was laid off. Now I am graduating in Dec and it is about 3 weeks away and I am feeling like it might be a repeat for me back in 2003. I just don't know why I am feeling like this.

I hear ya.

I graduate in the spring, and I feel as if I am the only one not doing more education. I have no idea what I want to do, jobs within my area of education are pretty limited, and I am quite afraid of what I am going to do with my life.

I am feeling the pressure, but also am totally afraid. I don't want to pursue more education, but I also have no idea what I am going to do either

Congrats on your graduation!

Well, you will need to change your attitude. I see a lot of your posts and they are all very doom and gloom. What is your degree in? Are you focused on only working in your degree area?

did you get your degree because you wanted to learn in that subject area or were you looking for a job?

Hey guys, I'm in the same shoe. I'll be graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Psychology and Anthropology in a couple of weeks time and yet, I feel like I am not really well equipped to go into the workforce. I feel like I am not specialized in anything (though with a degree) and that's worrying the crap out of me. Been to a couple of careers advisors, but they don't seem to be much of a help either (though that is a good recommendation for you though, go have a look).

But in respond to the OP, when my sister graduated from her degree, it took her forever to find a proper job. But while she was searching, she took up any job she could get and just patiently worked from there while hunting for one that was actually related to her field. So that is probably an option that you may consider looking into I guess... don't you feel down about it okay? If there's a will, there's a way...

See, I look at getting a degree like yours as opening MORE doors. Its not as narrowed down and the possiblities are endless!!

Is there anything you've looked at yet?

I think a Bachelor of Arts is helpful in terms of exposing you briefly to a LOT of areas. So I guess in a sense, it does broadens your field of knowledge. But that's the problem though. Nowadays, you need to be specialized in something in order to get a decent job.

And yeah, I have actually looked into a couple of areas- Human Resource or, Criminology. I'm working in a recruitment company atm and thought maybe HR is a possibility, but for some reason, I'm always fascinated by the criminal minds and thought of doing something along that line. but unfortunately, something tells me I need to get more qualifications

A bachelor's in Psych will not get you much, that's for sure. In that field, you need at least a Masters, probably a PhD.

That's true. In order to land a job that is directly related to psychology, you need to be a certified/ registered psychologist. And the only way going about doing that is to do Post-graduate/Masters which will probably take about 2 years here in NZ

Archived