South Beach Diet - all phases...let's loose that weight!!

chasey

Did your gf find another job yet btw?

No, not yet. She's got her resume out there and has applied for three good positions, but no word yet. She's concerned but not too worried, yet. If these don't work out we can fall back on a temp agency that was really impressed with her, and if THAT doesn't work out, then she heads to the unemployment office.

Thanks for thinking of her... keep your fingers crossed!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is corn one of the 'good carbs'? Say microwaved frozen corn with no added butter etc? About a cup of it, served with dinner or just as a snack? Is it not a good idea on a regular basis?

Corn is not really considered a good carb. Limit your eating of starchy carbohydrates. Corn and peas are starchy carbohydrates, "so they have a higher caloric density (more calories per serving than the other vegetables)."

I try to only have it once in a great while. I usually limit myself to 1/2 cup.

For a snack you are better off having a something with more protein.

Hi guys. Is instant oatmeal with lowfat milk a good choice for breakfast? Is there nutritional difference between oatmeal and instant oatmeal? I eat it plain or add nuts/blueberries. I put about 1 cup of dry oatmeal in the bowl and with the milk it comes to just about 2 cups when done.

According to the South Beach Diet book, old fashioned whole oats are recommended over quick or instant oatmeal.

The quick oats are stripped of all the good stuff.

Is there a brand you know and use? I couldn't find the old fashioned one at the supermarket. Any idea how long it takes to make it?

Is there a brand you know and use? I couldn't find the old fashioned one at the supermarket. Any idea how long it takes to make it?

I use these: link removed

I cook mine in the microwave with water for 2 minutes or so. The water boils just like it would if you are putting it on the stove. The time it takes will depend on your microwave.

I usually sweeten it with splenda and blueberries.

So, admittedly I have cheated a fews time in phase II, but few and far between.

But I've gotten to one weight and can't budge from there. Three weeks now and I haven't gone down one pound

It's getting really really really frustrating!!!!

That is frustrating! It might not be so much your occasional cheating but rather your daily intake of carbs. You're going to have to adjust your diet based on your body's reaction to the reintroduction of complex carbs and fiber. What someone else can eat without gaining (or plateauing) will be different from you.

You may want to go back to Phase I for a couple days until you start losing weight again, and then very slowly reintroduce Phase II complex carbs back into your diet. VERY slowly... and either write down how many carbs you're eating, until your weight plateaus again. THEN you can back off the carb intake since you know your "max" before you plateau.

For example... in PHase II... if you started eating a turkey sandwhich on whole wheat bread and some carrots for lunch, and a serving of whole wheat pasta for dinner... that might seem healthy (and it is) but that serving of pasta might have put you over your weight loss edge. So just have the turkey sandwhich and cut back on the pasta serving (or have something completely different) for dinner. Chicken with steamed veggies, perhaps. You can't just dive right into eating all sorts of Phase II recipes because even those might have a bit too many carbs for you personally. If that makes sense. So if you think about it, you've plateaued which is great! You now know basically how much you can eat to maintain your weight, which is important for the long-term.

Give us an example of your daily menu on Phase II right now and maybe we can give suggestions on cutting back a bit?

Thanks Pixel!!

That makes alot of sense. I didn't think my carb intake was that high but it's quite possible it is for me. Maybe I'll try going back to phase I for a couple days and see if that helps.

I bought a cook/eating healthy book on the weekend (can't remember the name) that goes over healthy eating and boosting the metabolism. I'm hoping to get some ideas from there as well.

It's so frustrating cuz there's a bunch of us trying to loose weight together now and I'm the only one not loosing! :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

I think Edy's makes a "no sugar added" vanilla from their "slow churned" line. It contains splenda.

It's lower in fat and sugar than most other brands- however the "serving size" is a half cup- which to me is laughable.

Only an ant eats a mere half cup of ice cream -yet all brands use that as their serving size.

You can also try the sugar free vanilla pudding- it is totally sugar free and the serving size is more for humans.

• 1 year later...

Archived