South Beach Diet - all phases...let's loose that weight!!

chasey

That's too bad, Chasey. You sure you were actually in ketosis? It doesn't sound to me that you would only lose one pound in two weeks unless you weren't in ketosis.

I don't know what's up. Last time I lost almost 10 lbs in the first two weeks.

Looking on the bright side - I know I'm eating healthier and I'm sure the weight will come off I just have to stick to it.

How's everyone else on Phase 1 doing? Only a couple days left!!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt one day of chinese food would kill the weight loss that fast, though. It probably set you back a couple days (knocks out ketosis) but after two weeks? In my two weeks of Phase I, I didn't lose as much as I thought I would (I lost 7 lbs), either.

I've also got thyroid issues... hypothyroid... and take daily meds for it.

I don't crave anything, except desserts. I will either have a bleberry/yogurt muffin or a black forest cake, or nothing... What should I do?

I'm not sure what a blueberry yogurt muffin is? Are you still trying to lose weight and be dedicated to the program? If so, neither one of those is suitable...unless the muffin is okay for Phase II. Again, the whole point is to break your cravings, no matter how bad they are. If you cave and have a blueberry muffin or cake, you're giving in and the cravings will only intensify. You won't be changing your eating habits and in the long run, you'll probably go back to eating foods that aren't good for you.

The decision is up to you. I'm not trying to guilt-trip you or anything. Every time I had a craving I thought about my goal, and how I couldn't fit into my jeans anymore, and how my cycling was suffering. It convinced me to ride out the craving.

Studies show cravings only last about 15-minutes so just distract yourself or eat something that is approved. The more you concentrate on the craving the more it's going to haunt you.

Personal update: Didn't exercise much last week (only cycled once to work) because my schedule was crazy. But we've stayed true to the Phase II menus. I'm only 1.5lbs away from my goal! I've lost 13lbs!

Pixel I caved dessert all of Sunday!! I swear it was no 15 mins, it was ALL day! And I picked up muffins at the store, but then decided not to buy them!! That was good. But today I come home, my housemate is gone for a couple of days, and she left a cake and a note saying please enjoy! GOD HELP ME! What do I do. I really HAVE TO have a piece. Whole Sunday I was dreaming of cakes and muffins. Help (Btw I am in phase 2)

This whole thing is really up to you so if you can have a piece of cake, not feel guilty, and get back on track, then great! That's the whole point. But "cheating" should be something that is a special occasion and done infrequently, not every day when you have a craving for it.

He even says that it's okay to indulge every once in a while... I do! My g/f's dad had surgery the other day and was craving lemon meringue pie so he bought one. He had a few slices, and then left 3/4 of it in our fridge! So yes, I had a SMALL slice... at the thickest it was no bigger than two of my fingers in width. And I only had ONE piece.

the whole point is to think about what kinds of foods you're putting into your body. So if you can get away with a small piece and keep on the program, then do it. But if you think that one tiny slice is going to break down your walls and you'll end up eating the entire cake in a couple of days, then...

Good luck...

Not even my cake, and I never BUY bad stuff. But when it's free and around and I've been craving it for days..! Well I guess I had to have it. I had it. Wasn't the smallest slice, but definitely much smaller than what I would've had. And just 1 slice. And I'm done. Dinner is ground beef and spinach and plain yogurt and green salad. So the cake was my carb for today.

I couldn't believe (at the grocery store today) that even plain nonfat yogurt has sugar in it (7 grams at least)! I have to find more variety in brands. There must be one with no sugar, right?

I am not doing well today. I won't even TELL you what I ate. I didn't even really want to eat any of it, but I did anyway. I guess this is what they call emotional eating (I am having a really rough day ). I ate so bad I feel sick to my stomach (not in quantity really but more in quality. And I usually never have problems with my stomach. Although it can also be because of the way I feel. I will do better the rest of the day and tomrrow. Good thing is I am down to 164. that is 6 lbs below what I was starting SB.

Doing great! I snuck and had a sliver of that pie last night, then tossed the rest out. We also had a tiny serving of No Sugar Added, low-fat Vanilla ice cream with a sparse sprinkle of TINY little dark chocolate chips on it for dessert. But other than that... we're sticking to it. Last night we made another batch of teh SB Phase II Turkey meatloaf with steamed mixed veggies (carrots, black beans, snow peas, and edamame). It was SO good. We split a single low-carb beer, which was a treat.

I'm finding that I'm eating in smaller amounts, and much slower. And when I do "cheat," as in the pie, even a tiny slice makes my stomach kinda queasy. It has become so used to GOOD food that even a small amount of junk makes it rebel. That's a good thing for sure.

Cycled into work again today.... just 1.5 lbs away from my goal! Though once I hit 165 I may try for 160. I've lost two inches off my waist and muscle definition is much more apparent. All of my old pants are falling off (have to use a belt... TWO notches tighter) and the old tight pants are perfect.

G/F is doing great, too. She has plateaued a bit because she's been so overworked that she hasn't been going to the gym, but she's eating good. She's also back into some of her old "tight" clothes and looks fantastic. I think she has about 5lbs to go.

hike - down 6 lbs is great!! Don't stress about the bad day yesterday.

pixel - congrats to you and your gf for sticking to it so good and the loss!!

I'm doing really good the last couple days. Happier now in phase 2 with fruit and cereal. Still haven't added back any pasta, rice, bread or potatoes and strangely not even wanting them. Still only 3 lbs down, but feeling alot better, lots more energy.

How did the weekend treat you all? We definitely had a "free" day Saturday as our friend had a birthday party with tons of home-made Mexican food. So we splurged a bit, but even with that, it was not nearly as much as we would have before starting SB.

With the weekend and lack of exercise this last week, I've leveled off ONE POUND from my goal.

Well I did it... hit my goal weight! Now that I'm down to where I want to be weight-wise, I'd like to bulk up in the upper body muscle a bit. Not too much, as I want to stay on the lean side for my cycling. My legs are already pretty muscular from cycling so I look a bit out-of-proportion. But yay!

October 10, 2008 - Start date - 178.5lbs and 23% body fat.

November 25, 2008 - Hit goal - 164.5 lbs and 19% body fat.

Total loss: 14lbs and 4% in 6 weeks, 3 days.

I'm fairly happy with the body fat percentage, but I think our scale is way off. One day it measures both my g/f and I at 30% (no WAY that is possible) and the next day at 19%. I know it has to do with how hydrated (or not) we are, but it's still too inconsistent. I think we're going to invest in a better scale.

How are the rest of you doing? Hike... you said you were going back to Phase I. How is that going for you? Thanksgiving is coming up! While we're going to indulge ourselves a bit, we're going to not get carried away with huge portions and multiple servings. AND we're going to be strict and exercise as much as we can over the break.

Archived