For the British: What do you think of an American accent?

pianoguy

I think Americans need help with our image abroad. If you are American and you are a decent human being that doesn't fit into the typical annoying traveling American stereotype then it's up to you to project a better image when traveling. Going around pretending to be Canadian doesn't do much for us...

The 'standard' American English is considered to be Mid-western. I'm from just south of Washington DC and I always assumed I had a 'normal accent'. Then people from the south would tell me I sounded northern, and people from the north would tell me I sounded southern. Go figure.

I actually don't prefer the Hugh Grant style of UK accent. I like the ones that you hear in Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. A little more dirty and rough.

irritating

An opinionated rejoinder: I find the English accent (in light of its now daily solicitation) to be more than a little aggravating. Accent is not a broad enough term... I should say that I find this country's expository manner, in general, disappointing. The colloquialisms strike me as trite and self-important. This constant need to frame even trivial statements as questions is a useless and misleading activity. I am tired of the endless mispronunciation of words, from place names to basic nouns. There is no middle ground of tenor - it's either so low as to be a whisper or, instead, an ear shattering shout.

The tendency to end one's sentences in 'then' and begin them with 'shall.' A preponderance of adverbs. The ubiquitous 'um' and 'like' of the United States does not exist, but not by way of an improved vocabulary. These words have simply been replaced by similar constructions, ranging from the obnoxious 'you know' (I don't) to the incessant 'rather.' Rather what, exactly?

I could go on. My distaste does not range accross the entire populace. There are many who speak with elegance and style, just like in the States. However, unlike the States, where people are decidedly modest when it comes to their speaking, the English have an endless well of arrogance when it comes to their so-called language. You see, we poor creatures from accross the pond do not actually speak the Queen's English. No, no - our tongue wags in a way similar to the hated Germans or filthy Spaniards.

Get over yourselves. For every David Lodge there's a dozen Cormac McCarthys (and I won't bother to say who ranks the higher). The literary torch has been passed and, might I add, that it was not the tiresome Imperialism of your little island which caused our shared mode of speech to become the world's latest lingua franca. You can thank -our- culture for that one.

/rant

might I add, that it was not the tiresome Imperialism of your little island which caused our shared mode of speech to become the world's latest lingua franca. You can thank -our- culture for that one.

/rant

Perchance you would like to peruse some literary tomes.

The British Empire is responsible for 'English' becoming the lingua franca of the western world..

Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India all once part of the Empire, and the African and caribbean British commonwealth countries, and I hate to say this, but does the Mayflower mean anything to you?

The accent to which you appear to refer is called 'received pronunciation' otherwise known as the 'Queens English'. It is predominantly spoken in the Home Counties and is the accent of the upper middle class and Aristocracy.

The only other place I've ever heard it is on American TV shows and now..here!

My guess is, is that history is not his strongest subject.....

quite so.

His other lingual observations would perhaps point to that ubiquitous hybrid otherwise known as 'estuary english' for which we can most certainly thank him and his countries musical lyricists.

Yes, thank you Pdiddy,snoop doggy dog, and Ice T for introducing such lingual pleasure to these shores, and of course, it would be folly and oversight to omit the literary giant that is Budweiser for their contribution...

'wassssuuupp'

Perchance you would like to peruse some literary tomes.

The British Empire is responsible for 'English' becoming the lingua franca of the western world..

Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India all once part of the Empire, and the African and caribbean British commonwealth countries, and I hate to say this, but does the Mayflower mean anything to you?

The accent to which you appear to refer is called 'received pronunciation' otherwise known as the 'Queens English'. It is predominantly spoken in the Home Counties and is the accent of the upper middle class and Aristocracy.

The only other place I've ever heard it is on American TV shows and now..here!

I suppose you'll be taking credit for English's use within the UN as well, eh?

quite so.

His other lingual observations would perhaps point to that ubiquitous hybrid otherwise known as 'estuary english' for which we can most certainly thank him and his countries musical lyricists.

Yes, thank you Pdiddy,snoop doggy dog, and Ice T for introducing such lingual pleasure to these shores, and of course, it would be folly and oversight to omit the literary giant that is Budweiser for their contribution...

'wassssuuupp'

Is it still the year 2000 in your part of the world?

Archived