Will I lose weight this way?

Hello,

My busy schedule means i can only excersise on weekends and the gym by me has very limited hours, so my question is if i do aerobics (eliptical/treadmil)on sat and sun for 1 to 1 and a half hours each day (2-3 hours per week of exercise) what are the odds that i will actually see weight loss results? I want to lose 50 lbs maybe in a month or two. What do you think? Is it possible?

I mean it will help some, if you go from doing nothing, to doing something twice a week.

But don't expect to lose 50 pounds in a month, or two..

that will take you at least five to six months, IF you want to lose it healthily.

Eliminating all the foods high in fat, drinking more water.. etc.

have you thought of working out early in the morning before your daily activities? that way you get your workout out of the way first thing in the morning, and you continue doing your stuff the whole day.

My diet is pretty bad, I'm trying to work on it and know what I have to eliminate. The gym is closed in the early morning before work which is why I can only go on the weekend. If I exercise at home do you think yoga dvds may be good (I can't jump around too much inside the house b/c of neighbors below.

I'm thinking

sat and sun (1 to 2 hours eliptical/treadmil)

Mon, Wed, Fri (yoga dvd)

What do you think, is this better to help my goal?

the amount of the weight you will lose will be dictated by how much calories ur body consumes.

there's a way to find out how much how many calories ur body needs. U may have to look around on the net for it but there is an actual number.

for example; well this is from an olld project I did so I may be abit off but anyways

a person that weighs about 150 at rest for one day wil usually need about 3000 I think is the number , like i said I may be worng on this example but there is a way to fidn out these numbers as a starting point for you.

so that ur goals can be mapped out abit better. Have u talked to any personal trainers or people that know more about this topic.

losing weight fast is not easy and losing 50 lbs in one month is alot of weight to do in just 30. To lose weight u have to be losing the excess of the calories which ur body needs consuming. I hope this makes sense

is there a park near your house where you can go run?

either way i think doing yoga dvds will be better than nothing.

You can also try getting pilates dvds,

about your diet, I think it is the most important thing!

Just changing your diet might help you lose weight.

If you're serious about losing the weight, you can go to this website

link removed

The guy helps you ease into a healthy diet.

He also gives you tables that tell you how many calories you need according to your body composition

whoa... 50 pounds in a month? ... I don't think that is very realistic even in two... but I guess it depends how overweight you are. A healthy rate of weight loss is typically 1-2 pounds a week, and at about 4 weeks in a month... Even pushing it really hard at the end of 2 months, you really shouldn't see more than 15-20 pounds of weight loss if you are doing things at a healthy rate.

Your go-to attitude is admirable though.... please keep your momentum up. Just try not to get discouraged when it doesn't happen that fast. The body has to process things over time.

I want to lose 50 lbs maybe in a month or two.

No.

And even if you were following a really clean diet and exercising everyday you still would have a job losing that much.

Doing all that exercise on a weekend will be good for you in a limited capacity and increase your risk of injury.

Yoga is good for strengthening and flexibility but I would question it's value as an exercise for weight loss.

Your best bet is to go for a walk/jog for half an hour every day and make sure you eat healthily and (are you a girl? how much do you weigh now?) try to keep to around 1400 - 1500 cals a day.

I think you will be happier and see better results if you learn to set your goals more specifically and track it all down - to see what is working and what isn't.

50 pounds is not all that realistic with the exception of you being very obese right now, doing zero exercise, and eating horribly. Even then it's a bit much for a month or two!!

Try for something like a few pounds a week. And track your weeks. This gives you more control.

How much exercise you getting right now?

Any added exercise is good, though some help the weight loss thing more than others. But weight loss as the only goal will leave you with a flabby thin body anyways.

Yoga dvds rock!! Easy to get a little workout in with no excuses, just pop it in the tv, and helps to de-stress during the week.

Oh yeah...stress does have an effect on this! So it's good to make sure you get that basic stuff on the table: Your sleep, your water, getting your relaxation in, learning how to enjoy exercise (cause it's not just for getting down the that magic number) .

Realistic expectations so you don't get burned out or feel bad when you are actually doing really well.

Hon, have patience. There are no quick fixes. It can be a lot easier than you think though, if you will only have the patience to take it off slowly.

Consistency really is the key to a breakthrough. It's the key to getting the momentum and habits in place.

So if you can get even a 5 minute stretch in on mornings to start - that's better than nothing all week and then BAM! attacking your body with rigorous exercise on the weekend.

Shoot for 1 - 2 lbs a week, that is realistic. Setting yourself up for unrealistic goals can lead to a feeling of failure.

Improve your diet, try Weight Watchers.

Add extra activity into your life on a daily basis, use the stairs instead of an elevator, park you car farthest from the entrance so you have to walk further. Do a 10-15 minute routine every morning, get some hand weights. If you have to get up 15 minutes earlier to fit it in, it is worth it, the extra energy you get from exercise will make up for the 15 minutes of sleep.

You can do a lot of workouts at home and not go to the gym. Try some of the DVDs out there that are designed for home weight loss.

All the above posters are right. I lost 35 lbs. in 6 months, and I haven't gained back even one lb, That's the real key, make a life change.

I bought a bicycle and ride when I can, I walk as much as I can, I make extra trips up and down the stairs, etc., etc.

I did my first triathlon this summer, it was great, I'm not a serious competitor but I am proud of what I accomplished. Did I mention, I am 56?

If I can do it, you can too!!!

definitely agree with, what u eat will have a difference and doing something is better than nothing. Are there any activities that you could sing up for that u would enjoy like dance or a new sport of even a martial arts. U dont have to only to the gym to lose weight. I lost some weight by doing some stuff around the home, there are options for what u can do.

If you are 50 lbs overweight, I would vote against jogging at this point. Walking at a fast pace will help, if you do it consistently at least every other day. You should definitely focus on your diet. I don't think you'll get any significant results if you simply exercise on the weekend. I agree with the poster that said try to stay at 1400-1500 kcal a day (this also depends on your height, weight, age etc, there are good websites to determine what your kcal intake should be, find it and cut 500 kcal each day)

Also, as other posters stated, its unreasonable to expect to lose 50 lbs in 1-2 months.

1.5 - 2 hours is a really long time on the elliptical/treadmill. You will get really bored and tired. I think it is unrealistic to think you can go the entire week without exercise (essentially not exercising regularly), and then work out 2 hrs/day on the week-end. I just don't think it's going to happen! And really, unrealistic goals are one of the biggest killers of diet plans, because when you don't meet your goals you become discouraged and often give up on the whole idea of losing weight.

Anyway, I would shoot for 45 minutes of cardio each day on the week-end, and ramp up the intensity. Consider adding 30 minutes of weight training to one of the gym days - lifting will boost your metabolism and give you tone so you don't get too flabby as you lose the weight. For the rest of the days, at-home DVDs are an option, walking building up to running. You can also get a weight set to lift at home.

Is there no other gym close to you? Finding one that has longer hours would probably help you with your weight loss goals.

Archived