Burning Man

rosephase

Are any of you guys going to make it out to burning man this year? Every year relationships fall apart and start at burning man. Of the people I knew who went last year, one relationship ended at burning man, a ten year marriage ended at burning man, and two new relationships started. I only knew like 10 people going so that seems like a lot. My partner and I have been together 3 years and this is out 2nd year going together, we are also camping with both of our other partners… we laugh about how it’s going to completely fall apart and blow up in our faces… but I do get worried about it a bit. Any advice in general for how to keep things happy and healthy?

What about burning man causes the relationships to fail? Would they not have failed during any other trip or is the festival special in some way? I have never been so I am unsure.

I have heard it said that travelling with a s.o. makes relationship flaws glaringly obvious. Perhaps this is related somehow.

From wikipedia because I have no idea how to describe it.

Burning Man is an eight-day annual event that takes place in Black Rock City, a temporary city on the playa of the Black Rock Desert in the U.S. state of Nevada, 90 miles (150 km) north-northeast of Reno, ending on the American Labor Day holiday in September. The event is described by organizers as an experiment in community, radical self-expression, and radical self-reliance[1] and takes its name from the ritual burning of a large wooden effigy on Saturday evening. In 2007, 47,366 people participated in The Burning Man Project. [2]

yeah.. people are encouraged to act wild, burn a 40foot tall collective art structure, and public nudity is not unheard of.

drugs, alcohol, wild art people, and 40 feet of burning art.... its an accident waiting to happen.

but 8 days in something like that environment with an unstable relationship in tow. its not rocket science to see why this is a good time to break it off. if'n that was the case.

That is funny. The guy I was dating at the time, who is still my friend now says that Burning Man killed our relationship, but that is not really true. It was a lot of fun as long as you are prepared. I was there when it rained, so there was mud everywhere and not enough bathrooms...etc....but everything else was amazing.

I'm really not sure why it seems shake up relationship so much. There are a lot of people who are very open; it sort of changes you a bit. People act more free. I don't know this all sounds dumb. Your in extreme circumstances, surrounded by new people and friends, playing, dancing, and partying, seeing art, and living in a new kind of community, I don't know why that seems to break people apart and bring people together. But it does.

I think it's all a big bunch of coincidence. Burning man seems pretty cool but I often find it really pretentious.

As far as your relationship, just be nice and treat your SO right. Maybe it's the new surrounding that causes relationships to fail. Like it was bound to happen and this new situation just adds the pressure on and makes the break.

From wikipedia because I have no idea how to describe it.

Burning Man is an eight-day annual event that takes place in Black Rock City, a temporary city on the playa of the Black Rock Desert in the U.S. state of Nevada, 90 miles (150 km) north-northeast of Reno, ending on the American Labor Day holiday in September. The event is described by organizers as an experiment in community, radical self-expression, and radical self-reliance[1] and takes its name from the ritual burning of a large wooden effigy on Saturday evening. In 2007, 47,366 people participated in The Burning Man Project. [2]

basically people gather to do drugs and try to validate it as "art" or "self-expression" bunch of extreme liberal BS.

yeah.. people are encouraged to act wild, burn a 40foot tall collective art structure, and public nudity is not unheard of.

drugs, alcohol, wild art people, and 40 feet of burning art.... its an accident waiting to happen.

but 8 days in something like that environment with an unstable relationship in tow. its not rocket science to see why this is a good time to break it off. if'n that was the case.

There is a ton of public nudity, also a lot of sex, although that isn't supposed to be public, and most the time it's not.

I think it's all a big bunch of coincidence. Burning man seems pretty cool but I often find it really pretentious.

As far as your relationship, just be nice and treat your SO right. Maybe it's the new surrounding that causes relationships to fail. Like it was bound to happen and this new situation just adds the pressure on and makes the break.

You’re probably right. I feel wonderfully solid in my relationships right now, I'm sure we will be fine. It's just a little scary to see.

You’re probably right. I feel wonderfully solid in my relationships right now, I'm sure we will be fine. It's just a little scary to see.

well, I think it's a good test actually.

If the relationship does fall apart because of this, it wasn't burning man. It shows you that there is a pre existing problem. True, burning man is intense, but not nearly as intense as emotional situations in married life.

basically people gather to do drugs and try to validate it as "art" or "self-expression" bunch of extreme liberal BS.

hahahahahahahaha It is self expression and it is artistic, it is "liberal" I guess you could say that, but in a sense its artistic conservatism. Apples Oranges. That statement was not needed I feel. Its kind of a dig at those who want to participate. Plus that is kind of giving out a bias opinion for some in here who may want to know what it truly stands for.

Well i think people with insecurities would rip their hair out wondering if their partner is looking at all these naked bodies. Or if your partner is running off with one of these naked bodies.

Im a firm believer if your partner has it in them to cheat, then they will regardless.

hahahahahahahaha It is self expression and it is artistic, it is "liberal" I guess you could say that, but in a sense its artistic conservatism. Apples Oranges. That statement was not needed I feel. Its kind of a dig at those who want to participate. Plus that is kind of giving out a bias opinion for some in here who may want to know what it truly stands for.

Yeah, I agree. The idea is a good one.

Although I hated about 70% of the people there because they were attention garbers or people who thought themselves as the smartest person there, the actual festival was pretty great.

Btw, I've been to two music festivals too. There are always drugs, nudity, and a sense of being without authority (although, ironically, people automatically form lines for everything), however, the actual events are great.

Add a bunch of dust storms, smelly hippies, and complete debauchery, and a beautiful attempt at making an alternative community and you pretty much got it. And have missed it entirely, it's a little hard to quantify. It's truly not of everyone but I love it.

You would probably hate it.

Well i think people with insecurities would rip their hair out wondering if their partner is looking at all these naked bodies. Or if your partner is running off with one of these naked bodies.

Im a firm believer if your partner has it in them to cheat, then they will regardless.

Good thing my partners seeing naked people doesn't bother me. I don't know how anyone with that issue could go to burning man. Because you can't walk 3 feet with out seeing breasts. Hell half the people I camp with are naked a bunch of the time, including myself... it's freaking hot. And being naked is fun.

Good thing my partners seeing naked people doesn't bother me. I don't know how anyone with that issue could go to burning man. Because you can't walk 3 feet with out seeing breasts. Hell half the people I camp with are naked a bunch of the time, including myself... it's freaking hot. And being naked is fun.

haha, yeah, that's good that you are on the same page with the nudity.

If it really bothers you, maybe make a signal. My ex and I used to make signals in preparation for strenuous times like double dates, family reunions, etc.

Basically, designate a word or phrase that can be said when someone feels uncomfortable. Then you can go off and talk about it without anyone in your group bothering to ask what is wrong and prevent awkwardness in the group.

And thats why you pluralized partner. I'm not knocking your lifestyle, its just not for most people.

Archived