how many of you breakup because of too many quarrels?

wtm78

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, that's why my last real relationship ended. We were SO incompatible... he was a conservative hunter, I a liberal animal-rights activist so-to-speak.... we'd get in full-on screaming matches. most were alcohol induced, once I kicked the door on my old car so hard it nearly fell off....

Al has a section in the Map of Relationships where he talks about the "Power Struggle" phase of relationships which follows the Romantic Stage and describes it as "Hurt 'em til they love you." As he puts it:

You complain, criticize, lecture, blame, judge, shame, argue, humiliate, avoid, stonewall, be silent, yell, and even hit. And all of this is done with the purpose of making things better. “I just want to get back to the way it was.” The Power Struggle is a lengthy and fruitless attempt to get back to romantic love.

BTW, I think the Power Struggle is why most rebounds fail. I think that generally the people in rebounds only considered the romantic phase and are totally unprepared for this phase. Of course, a lot of non-rebounds probably fail in this phase, too.

i think we fight because our primary needs are not met... we are using all sorts of "despicable" ways to get them...

its a primary mode of survival... can be controlled i guess...

I would agree with this. If you have a healthy relationship, then you have more discussions then you do fights.

I would agree with this. If you have a healthy relationship, then you have more discussions then you do fights.

that i will have to disagree... fights are actually healthy... but you need to learn your boundaries in fighting...

i think there are 2 schools of thoughts out there...

one teaching you fight is necessary and how to fight fair in order to maintain initmacy..

the other, like yourself, believe in discussions, debates and may have heated arguments, but the result of suck interactions are usually positive...

Naw, I'm not really a fighter... but it was because we were incompatible and not what each other wanted.

In the weeks since our split, my ex has come out with something along these lines....on his side. Said that we are quite different and it just wasn't "right", we weren't that "compatible" and when I meet the right guy I'll laugh with him about how he, as my bf, "was waaaay off". I'm pretty pissed at him for this to be honest. As we have never had a single fight, barely a disagreement, had such a laugh together, no signs of unhappiness on his side and get along extremely well. He has told me so many different reasons why we're over that I don't know what the hell to believe anymore. I am beginning to think his family had a lot to do with it.

oh girl.. i am sorry to hear about your spilt...

but break up do not happen overnight... it really sucks to be taken by surprise...

but the real reason doesnt matter... because he will not tell you... people just come out with all sorts of reasons to spilt when their heart already decided to, long before the actual spilt...

i hope you will be fine... keep posting... hang in there...

That was the ONLY reason we broke up.

We had to address the reasons for all the insane bickering.

I think with a LDR, feelings of neglect are common and then you argue about...

...everything!

We're working on it at the moment...hope we get a chance to "make up" in person...like the rainbow after the storm!

oh girl.. i am sorry to hear about your spilt...

but break up do not happen overnight... it really sucks to be taken by surprise...

but the real reason doesnt matter... because he will not tell you... people just come out with all sorts of reasons to spilt when their heart already decided to, long before the actual spilt...

i hope you will be fine... keep posting... hang in there...

Yeah....but I guess I would have liked to have him talk to ME about it rather than his mother and sisters over a cup of coffee. "I run everything by my family to see if I'm making the right move or not"...thanks. Cos they really know the intricacies of our relationship.

Archived