Morning After Pill

From the web site link removed

EBC should only be used in emergencies, such as when a breaks, when you ally have unprotected , or if you have been d. It should not be used as a regular form of birth control.

All you have to be is 16 to get it. I think many people just use it frequently. I know someone who uses it every single month, no joke.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that was not my point. My point was that she claims that a doctor advised it as a method of birth control in her particular situation. That is bizarre. Not whether she could obtain it or use it as often as she wants to.

I think it's abused as a form of BC. But, people do it and use it as one all the time. I agree with you.

I think it's abused as a form of BC. But, people do it and use it as one all the time. I agree with you.

Once again that might be true but wasn't my point. It was that she claims a physician advised her to use this medication in the situation she did. That's all. Sorry if i wasn't clear.

I've taken it a few times and always for the same reason. I was on the pill, went on antibiotics and the condom broke/came off inside. You'd be amazed how many times this has happened over the course of a few years.

Anyhow, each time I was fine. It just caused me to have EXTREMELY sore boobs for about a week. So painful in fact, that I couldn't even wear a bra without being in agony. No sickness for me, though.

I think there's a difference between telling your doctor, "I got drunk again.... and slept with a random dude at the party last night..... for the 18th time.... gimme the MAP" and a woman who is going to her doctor and saying, "I plan on having unprotected sex in 3 weeks." It's just so weird that a doctor would agree to giving out the MAP for PLANNED unprotected sex, especially if she has had a bad reaction to hormones before.

this isn't even my usual doctor who said this. My doc was busy, so they let me see another doctor. He has been there for about 30 years. But there is no way I'm using a condom for my first time having sex and with my new husband. I didn't wait 24 years to feel a piece of rubber. The doctor said that's my only option because NO hormones have worked for me, and they say you're only sick for 24 hours if that. It's a sacrifice I don't want to make but I feel I have no choice. Oh and batya, I'd appreciate you not suspecting me of being dishonest..

this isn't even my usual doctor who said this. My doc was busy, so they let me see another doctor. He has been there for about 30 years. But there is no way I'm using a condom for my first time having sex and with my new husband. I didn't wait 24 years to feel a piece of rubber. The doctor said that's my only option because NO hormones have worked for me, and they say you're only sick for 24 hours if that. It's a sacrifice I don't want to make but I feel I have no choice. Oh and batya, I'd appreciate you not suspecting me of being dishonest..

Batya was not accusing you of being dishonest; she was questioning what kind of doctor would advise MAP in this situation.

MAP is NOT appropriate for someone whom has hemorrhaging from the regular birth control pill; as MAP IS a higher dose of birth control. It varies from woman to woman but if you get sick off the regular pill, you are looking at far more than 24 hours of illness if you take it (and even 24 hours of being sick; why is that worth it?).

Condoms are hardly that bad. You can buy thin ones; and as I recall you are a virgin so I highly doubt it's going to be a huge difference either way at this point. Are you really going to take the MAP everytime you two have sex after all? What are you going to do after the first time?

There are plenty of non-hormonal choices - copper IUD (which I have and adore), diaphragms with spermicide, condoms that are far safer for someone whom has had such bad reactions to hormones.

I swear that I'm not trying to ruin the moment of having sex for the first time, but... if I remember correctly with a condom or not- it hurt like h*ll.

Once you get the hang of it, I think the appreciation of having it without the condom will be more excitable.

Yes, Krystal, to echo Raykay what is your plan for the next time you have sex? and after that? MAP is a higher dose of hormones. Why would he suggest something to you that is at least ten times worse than what you can't already take?

I guess there is just something I am missing here in all of this. No one is accusing you of being dishonest but we are saying the whole thing doesn't add up well.

The doctor said that's my only option because NO hormones have worked for me, and they say you're only sick for 24 hours if that.

The MAP is nothing but a huge dose of hormones? So it really makes no sense whatsoever!

You either use a condom, some other form of protection (spermicides, etc..) or you just risk it by using the pull out method. You really don't have that many options if you can't take Birth Control and I will say again, the MAP is nothing but a huge dose of hormones so I would be even more afraid of using that rather than Birth Control pills.

yeah, to echo the other posters - MAP is like taking 4-8 birth control pills AT ONCE! if you don't tolerate those hormones well at all (from a normal dose), why does the doctor think that MAP would be a better choice for you? why not just use a spermicide then and pull out?

i'm just concerned for you, that's all. i think it would suck to be violently ill for your first day as husband and wife.

are you going to be using condoms with him after the first time?

From the Mayo Clinic's website:

link removed

The active ingredients in morning-after pills are similar to those in birth control pills, except in higher doses. Some morning-after pills contain only one hormone, progestin (Plan B), and others contain two, progestin and estrogen. Progestin prevents the sperm from reaching the egg and keeps a fertilized egg from attaching to the wall of the uterus (implantation). Estrogen stops the ovaries from releasing eggs (ovulation) that can be fertilized by sperm.

I'm wondering if she should just buy those over the counter things which you can monitor your body temp. to see if you are ovulating...

seem pretty hassle free.

And still pretty risky - sperm can live for five days in your body; and the ovulation kits predict only within a couple days I think. The kits are better for women whom WANT to get pregnant; not so much for those whom aren't wanting too.

And even if she WAS ovulating on her wedding night; wouldn't that mean she would not be able to have sex at all? She still needs some form of birth control and there are plenty of non-hormonal options if she reacts badly to hormones.

(as an interesting aside... did you know that 30% of couples do not have sex on their wedding night?) i guess that makes sense, if they have been up since 5 AM, getting ready, at the church, taking photos, going to the reception, entertaining guests, etc..... i can imagine they would be dead tired by the time they got back to their hotel room after the party!

I'm not accusing you of anything. I am questioning whether you heard correctly - did the doctor really refer to MAP, did the doctor really mean instead of any other method or only if other methods - like the condom - faile, and perhaps whether you gave the doctor different information - or the doctor heard different information - there are so many ways without being dishonest that what you said and what was heard are very different than you're explaining here.

I would think a doctor who said that knowing that the patient couldn't tolerate hormones would seriously risk losing her license or similar if the patient ended up reacting badly to a higher dose of hormones.

It's also odd that you are actually considering this, knowing that you react badly to hormones.

yeah, i do question this doctor also, especially if he knows you don't tolerate hormones. afterall, what does he think the MAP is, but a super high dose of hormones?!?

doctors aren't gods, they don't know everything, and sometimes they make mistakes. it's ok to go to another doctor, to get a second opinion, and to use your own judgement if something doesn't sound right. 30 years of experience or not, people make mistakes.

i remember that my roommate reacted really badly to the MAP, even though she was fine when she later got on birth control pills.

Good luck with that.

Just wondering why you won't go with a copper IUD? It doesn't have any hormones and can protect against pregnancy for up to 10 years.

because, as I've stated before. they say not to use it until after children because it can rupture your uterus.

the only way my body doesn't tolerate BC pills is because they make me bleed non stop! and thats like after the first week of any pill. I'm trying this because he basically told me I have no other choice. and No I didn't mis-hear him. he gave me a friggin RX. and said it's equivalent to using 2 BC pills. I told him exactly what I told you. My plan for after the first time was to use a diaphragm and spermacide but I figured it would go in easier AFTER I had sex at least once. because they say right now it will be very difficult to get it in, I've never even used a tampon.

Archived