fadetoblack

That sounds very promising. How often does it happen? I just signed up at link removed, and I instantely got messaged, but it was definitely not what I wanted. The person was solely interested in sex! I am going to try that for a while, see what happens.

I guess, I'm still wondering if this is normal? I'm not the "hottest" girl out there, but by-far from the worst, why is it so impossible to find something legitimate?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts about long distance, over the internet dating? Is that realistic?

That sounds very promising. How often does it happen? I just signed up at link removed, and I instantely got messaged, but it was definitely not what I wanted. The person was solely interested in sex! I am going to try that for a while, see what happens.

I guess, I'm still wondering if this is normal? I'm not the "hottest" girl out there, but by-far from the worst, why is it so impossible to find something legitimate?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts about long distance, over the internet dating? Is that realistic?

Yes, guys who sign up for eHarmony will not pay the fee they demand just to look for random sexual encounters (plus, they get deterred by the hour long test also!). As far as long distance, I try to stay away from that. If you can't get to the person in less than a two hours drive, it is very hard to maintain the relationship, unless the LDR was a short distance relationship previously.

Like you, I find it difficult to find ways of meeting people. I am at a place where I work, go the gym, nest at home.

So recently, after much goading by a married friend, I decided to join two dating sites (link removed and eharmony..both pay sites).

I have found the process disappointing and to have to on top of all that feels bad.

Like you, I find it difficult to find ways of meeting people. I am at a place where I work, go the gym, nest at home.

So recently, after much goading by a married friend, I decided to join two dating sites (link removed and eharmony..both pay sites).

I have found the process disappointing and to have to on top of all that feels bad.

How long have you been on the sites so far?

Several of my friends - intelligent, professional, quality people of integrity, attractive - met their spouses/fiancees this way. I met many nice /quality people when I met people through on line dating sites - about 100 in person. I didn't do long distance, I met them as soon as possible after the first email (emailed once or twice, than one or two phone calls, then we met usually within a week) and so it wasn't "on line dating" - it was dating where we happened to first contact each other through a dating site. Out of 100 men I dated about 40 of them more than once, about 15-20 of them more than three times, and had 2-3 month dating relationships with about 7 of them or so.

I stayed in touch with some of the men platonically for a period of time after. I've run into a number of them at parties and other events in my city - i.e. we could have met that way but since I have been a very busy professional for the last dozen years plus and I was meeting other busy professionals, it was easier/more efficient, to turn to on line dating sites so that I wouldn't spend sparse and precious free time at a loud crowded bar on the off chance that I'd meet someone who would be an appropriate match.

I felt much more comfortable meeting one on one with a stranger where we could actually talk and where we already knew certain things about each other's backgrounds.

Obviously some people lied but doing internet searches decreased that to a minumum (i.e. I did my homework in advance and declined to meet anyone who lied about any basic fact about themselves - age, marital status, level of education, etc.).

All in all it was a positive experience for me even though I did not meet anyone long term. That had nothing to do with it being through on line dating sites as opposed to some other way of meeting.

I always felt LDR was for losers, JMO

While I wouldn't use your harsh tone, you are right on how relationships can't start out being LDR, and work. Hell, even people who are just starting to date shouldn't keep the relationship going if one of them moves soon after. Case in point, I was dating this woman a couple of months back, and everything between us was going perfect, until she told me she was getting transferred to Colorado. I didn't hold it against her, and knew it was way to early in the process for us to believe anything could continue after the move. She was still great though.

I've used Match and Yahoo! Personals on-and-off over the past year or so. I've gotten a good number of first dates out of them, and met some pretty decent girls, but only once has it ever led to a second date (that one led to more dates and almost a relationship). I have a like/hate relationship with these sites.

Like people have said, the problem with online dating is that people are much flakier than if you met through common friends or something like that, even on pay sites. You're just somebody they met on the internet, after all. There are no repercussions to just dropping all contact with somebody, and you can even Block people.

I'm currently signed back up on link removed because curiosity got the best of me when I got a new email. Turned out to be a very cool girl who I had a very nice time with on a date last Saturday. Of course, I'm unfortunately skeptical this will even lead to a second date based on statistics, but we'll see (called her last night, but got her voicemail, so if she calls back cool, otherwise moving on).

so you let link removed trick you into paying for another membership?-lol

Heh, yeah. It lets you know who winks you, but won't even let you know who emailed you, what a scam they got going Having to pay isn't a big deal for me, as I usually feel like online dating services are a waste of my time, not so much my money (of course I value my time much more than my money). But hey, I have another 2+ months to use the site again, so maybe I'll actually browse through the profiles, and see if there's anybody interesting. Or maybe not, heh.

Archived