My ex-husband recently responded to a friendly email I sent him. He didn't sound very happy about his life, one of the things he said was, "Life is not perfect, but I'm given everything I need to live." The whole message sounded depressing; I felt sorry for him. He ended it with, "I wasn't going to respond, but something told me that I should let you know I'm ok."

Are there hidden messages here? He divorced me, so I assumed he would be doing great!

well personally, not for a second do i believe that he wasn't going to respond. He probably just sid that to sort of casualise the tone as if it was "no big deal" that you emailed him....when really he was quite excited. But like Mandy said, i dont think you should overanalyze the situation, and if you are in fact wondering if he would reconsider being with you, well i dont see why you would want to be with someone who divorced you..i mean that must tell you something for him to bring himself to do that.

Hope this helps

Indeed, do not assume something you do not know. There could be many reason he sounded the way he did. Let alone that fact you kind of wish he was feeling down. A divorce is never a fun time for anyone involved. Even if the marriage was hell, it was at least something you knew and understood (read comfortable) it's hard changing your life even if it's for the better.