Would shy guys be too scared to call after getting a number?

confused25

I gave out my number to my friend's friend and he never called me. But there was definitely a mutual attraction (it was confirmed by my friend). I was told by a couple of his friends that he's really shy and he's probably too scared to call. I felt a little bit rejected. Could some guys be THAT shy that they would refuse to call after getting a number? I don't get it . . .

A person might be too insecure to call even after getting a number or he might not be interested in dating, just flirting. If the former, consider whether you would want to be in a relationship with someone who cannot bring himself to call a woman who clearly is interested in hearing from him?

He'll probably get around to calling if he really wants to pursue you. But he might be putting it off only due to shyness. I've always been pretty shy, and the first phone call to ask the girl out can be even more difficult then getting her number in the first place. I always made the call, but not before staring at the phone number, obsessively going over the things I might say, maybe even going as far as punching in 6 of the 7 numbers and teetering on the edge before taking the plunge and hitting that last number. It is quite an experience let me tell ya.

Anyway that *might* be some insight to why he hasn't called yet.

Could some guys be THAT shy that they would refuse to call after getting a number? I don't get it . . .

Confused, no need to feel rejected. A lot of shy people are not only phone averse to calling people they like, but to their best friends as well. Social situations make them feel awkward in the first place, but phoning is especially daunting because they can't see the other person's reactions and it forces them to make conversation on the spot, when that's more likely to be their weakness, not strength.

Think about it from the shy guy's point of view: Shy guys are afraid of being rejected (in general) and being rejected by someone they really like (specifically!) Most people feel this way sometimes in their lives, but shy people tend to get stuck in the mindset that they're likely to get hurt one way or another, so why even try??? Sad isn't it?

So if he does like you, he has twice as much as reason to avoid calling you than usual. This doesn't mean your potential relationship is doomed, however. If he's attracted to you, then the best thing you can do is to be around him as much as possible keeping things fun and light, so that he feels comfortable being around you. Sit with him, play with him, ask him questions about himself, and flirt with him. All the things you'd normally do with a guy you like, but with more focus and confidence. If he's interested, he'll probably freak out, but hopefully he'll be so addicted to your personality by then, that his desire to be around you, will overcome his fear to run far, far away. Good luck!

I would be, yes. I'm 'shy' .. and would have a hard time just picking up the phone and calling someone for the first time.

If you really want to push things forward, as your mutual friend to get permission from this guy to give you HIS number. Then, you can call him.

That way if the guy isn't calling you because he isn't interested he'll tell your mutual friend no ... and your mutual friend can break the news to you ... if he says yes, then you're all in the clear.

Being shy is just sucky, lol, and it can cause so much anxiety and stress.

Doubt it. Maybe some would be... but I'm very shy with attractive females and if I somehow mustered the courage to get the digits, I'd be making the call... a few days later or so.

How long has it been since he got the number? If it's more than a week, he probably lost it or just isn't interested. Sorry.

I gave out my number to my friend's friend and he never called me. But there was definitely a mutual attraction (it was confirmed by my friend). I was told by a couple of his friends that he's really shy and he's probably too scared to call. I felt a little bit rejected. Could some guys be THAT shy that they would refuse to call after getting a number? I don't get it . . .

Sweetheart!! I can tell you for sure that A LOT OF GUYS are like this! and yes there is the possibility that they refuse to call. Maybe he'll call in a few weeks. Trust me this happens. He wants to think what to say on the phone, he doesn't want to sound like an idiot on the phone with no topics to say. A huge step for him is passed (asking you out)

Very Rarely though guys might just ask for your number and will never call you back just to boost their egos a very admirable thing to do but it does happen.

Some shy people don't like making a call but find it easy to email. Then he has a choice and you are more likely to hear from him, I think.

This is a very good advice to follow! Being a shy person, I can tell for sure that I would rather prefer to e-mail.

Coming from a extremely shy guy, it takes a huge amount of effort for me to call a woman who gave me her number. When I got a number, I'd usually look at it for a long time and say "she's probably busy or something" and fret over it for a long time. Keep in mind that most shy guys have an almost insurmountable fear or women, especially one that they are attracted to!

Archived