Just curious how many times have you changed your career?

iwishiknew

When I was first out of university I was working as an admin assistant/accounting assistant at a commodities trading bureau - on the trading floor.

I stuck that out less than a year.

I then moved into financial planning (insurance and investments). I really liked it - for the most part. The planning part. The selling insurance and investments I was less keen on.

I did that for three or four years.

I moved into contract tendering/purchasing; again while I enjoyed aspects of it, others did not.

I finally decided enough, I knew what I wanted to do, and I went back to school to pursue my law degree. My plan thus far is to go into family law and related matters; including domestic, child protection, legal aid (in family area); and even things like wills and estates. Though I am open at this point to where it takes me and to experiencing different opportunities before deciding what my "path" will be.

Of course recognizing there is always flexibility as you go through life in finding new paths

I worked for a company for 14 years and had 15 promotions, all involving somewhat of a career change.

the average person does change their career a lot, and in today's world it is rare for a person to retire from the same company.

Long gone are the days where a person could stick with a company and retire, but mostly it is not the employees that have changed so much but company structure and dynamic.

Let's see... I am almost 27 and I have been a dance teacher, worked with children with behavioral problems, an administrative assistant, done recruitment work in the IT field, and now I am an education director for a non-profit. I suspect that I will continue changing jobs for many more years (maybe I will remain in the same field more often or maybe I will continue taking jobs that are somewhat unrelated). I think it's healthy to make a change when you feel you need it!

Three times:

1st career was from 14 to 21 years old I worked in the restaurant industry form a dishwasher to a server.

2nd career was from 21 to 24 years old I worked in security from a regulars unarmed guard to an armed post commander for a hospital.

3rd career was from 24 to 37 years old I worked from a bank teller to becoming self employed in the real estate/finance industry.

4th future career when I graduate law school is to continue into the world of high finance and investment banking.

I have had one. I started working at it when I was 16. I am now 28. I worked in a public library from 16-19. Then when I was 19 I moved to an academic library at a community college. At 22 I moved to an academic library at a college turned university.

From 17-22 I was a history major. First I wanted to teach. Then I thought I would get my Masters in Library Science. Then I didnt want to have anything to do with either. Two years ago I started taking classes in paralegal studies and next spring I will graduate with honors.

Its funny where life takes you. Maybe someday I will go to law school, get that MLS and make tons of money studying copyright law.

Hmmm. Quite a bit.

From 16-19 I worked for a psychiatric hospital and an outpatient clinic. I worked with adolescents who were inpatient and outpatient for alcohol and substance abuse (usually other issues as well). I started off as a volunteer, then I worked as a peer counselor, then I worked as a substance abuse technician. I also did a lot of public (motivational) speaking at hospitals and schools, and I've been a guest on radio shows. I was ready to go full steam into counseling and psychology, but I crashed and burned emotionally. It was too tough for me to handle.

From 18-24 I developed an interest in business and law. I studied economics in college and focused on finance. My goal was to get into law school, graduate, and be a trial lawyer in a corporate setting. I have an ability to get quite theatrical from my public speaking in my previous career, but opted to go elsewhere after some bad experiences. I tutored and mentored in my free time as well (little carry over from my previous career). I interned in financial institutions and worked as a legal clerk.

From 24-present (26) I have worked in financial services. I worked as a consultant to hedge funds, plan sponsors, quant shops, government agencies, and investment banks. I was 'wowed' by all of the action, but eventually grew weary of travel and 'front office' work interfacing with clients non-stop and living out of hotel rooms, and I wanted to go back to school. The work was still exciting, but the lifestyle gets to you. I still work in the industry, but I am in a development role which has much less travel (and hours). I now develop and manage financial models for a financial software company. I turned down opportunities to work on Wall St. because something in me was telling me to go elsewhere. I still mentor as a Big Brother in my free time (carry over from old career).

Two days ago I started my post-bacc part time at night to pursue medicine. I want to link my analytical mind with my healing heart in helping others. I'm not sure where it will take me one day, but I have a few interests. I plan on using my vacation time next year to travel to Africa and work in the field with AIDS patients for a few weeks. I'd like to stay on the cutting edge of medicine and technology and I have an interest in infectious disease. I still mentor in my free time, and I've begun to volunteer at a children's hospital. I've saved and invested enough money for my own home, and I'd like to build up enough capital to not only live comfortably from investments but to open a clinic of my own one day, perhaps in Africa.

After that, who knows what's next. As onewithbooks mentioned, it's odd where life takes you. I never thought that I would be where I am at today. Who knows what the next 10 years will bring, but I have no intention in slowing down in any of my endeavors, passions, and pursuits. My life is purpose driven, but who knows, I may find myself as the owner of a small bakery in Versailles one day selling baguettes to the locals. Only time will tell.

Never shy away from your dreams and goals, never let obstacles in your path deter you, and never think that you are too old or that you aren't good enough or that you are inexperienced for it. Don't let anxieties and fears hold you back from pursuing your hearts dreams.

Archived