C'mon...

viox

Ok, so I made a quick run to Wal-Mart at around 10:30pm. As I walked passed this guy who worked there, he softly asked me to come talk to him once I was finished "shopping". At first I thought he might have mistaken me for somebody else (I often get "you look so familiar"), but soon realized that probably wasn't the case. So I came to the decision that I wouldn't acknowledge him once I left, because he gave me this vibe that didn't sit well with me. That didn't really work! I walked passed him and didn't even look his way, as if I didn't even notice him. On my way out I hear this loud "Hey!", but keep walking and then I notice him following me outside. I quickly turned around and went back inside. I was extremely freaked out, to say the least. After I get inside I walk towards the manager, but then my boyfriend calls me. Without hesitation, I let him know what's going on as I am shaking. But as I'm on the phone with my guy, the man who works there was standing behind me. I turn around and notice him staring at me as he's refilling the plastic bags at the register. At that point I realized that I'm gonna book it. So I walk around as if I'm not done shopping, in order to ditch him. As I'm doing this, I keep looking back and notice him looking around. I was actually able to leave without him knowing, since I left through the other side of the store. Now I'm too afraid of going there at night by myself, lol.

This isn't the first time that a guy has followed me, although it obviously doesn't happen all of the time. My question is very simple. Why do guys do this? Following me and being so persistent is more than just a turn-off to me.

Maybe you put out a "vibe" that says you are a bit insecure or maybe an easy target? Next time, I would just say directly, "are you talking to me?" and look around. And if he said, "yes", you could say, "thanks, but my boyfriend is waiting for me in the car" and then walk forward with purpose and your shopping list.

He's a pretty tall dude and I'm a petite girl. So that alone could have probably made him feel superior enough to approach me the way that he did. A couple of days later, my boyfriend and I went back (because it's the closest one to our house) and we happened to see him. I "pointed" him out since I had already told my boyfriend about the incident. I knew that we would walk passed him at least once while we were shopping. And when we did, I didn't look at him. I was holding my son, chatting on the phone with my mom. But my boyfriend told me that he gave him some evil glare (the "leave my girlfriend alone" type of stare), and the guy looked very nervous. So I'm hoping that he'll leave me alone next time he sees me by myself, since he now realizes that I have a family. But whose to say... I know that if he does it again, I will go to the manager without hesitation.

it does sound odd for that guy to act like that. he probably wanted to get your number or something. who knows, you didn't give him a chance to say anything. but his actions are questionable.

maybe you were 20millionth customer at walmart and you just refused your million dollar check. who knows.

Yes, he has left me alone because I haven't gone there by myself ever since. He's not going to walk up to me when my boyfriend is with me. I don't think he is that persistent. And no, I didn't leave anything out. After I walked into the store I happened to walk passed him for the first time and that's when he asked me to come over to him "for a second"

Well, shame on me if I missed out on a million dollar check.

What really boggles my mind is how you didn't even ask the simple question "Why?" after he approached you and said that...I know that's definitely the first thing that would've popped into my mind. If you don't want guys to follow you or treat you this way, try acknowledgin what they're doing and saying something about it instead of ignoring it and walking away.

I don't see why that boggles your mind. Of course I'm going to ignore someone like that. If he had came up to me and just started talking (like some guys do), I probably wouldn't have blown him off the way that I did. Assuming he wanted to get my number (which is the most likely case), I would have told him that I'm in a relationship and that I'm not interested. It's not what this guy wanted from me that freaked me out... it's how he handled it! If his approach was different and less eager, I probably wouldn't have been so afraid. I would have been on alert because he gave me a bad feeling the moment I saw him, but I probably wouldn't have reacted the way that I did. I'm simply asking people why guys do this. Just because I dealt with the situation in a way that maybe you wouldn't have, doesn't mean that I handled it inappropriately or even wrong.

P.S.

I don't see what asking "why" would accomplish if I'm not interested, especially if I knew what he wanted. And the fact that I ignored him should have given him the hint.

Archived