Any one else find dating customs/conventions stifling?

matius

At the end of the day, it's my fault I realize that.

But I'm sick and tired of all of these guidelines we have to follow to ask someone out. You can't ask out a waitress, somebody at work or who is working, etc.

It's all relative, but I don't know how many times I've debated to ask for someones number and then hesitated because well they were working or because waitresses are ya know waitressing.

I say there are no rules, if you feel like you have a chance go for it at every opportunity whether or not you fall flat on your face.

If it looks like there could be a reasonable chance I'm going for it from now on.

My post is to see if these types of things have ever stopped anybody else before.

No I don't. I don't care about the "rules of dating" I care about pursuing my goals and making my life happy.

Perfect.. yea.

As far as not knowing about the rules, I don't know in my circles throughout life it's always just kind of been said ya know. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I have been asked out while working.

I don't think it is a rule not to ask out someone while working, I just think that depending on where you are asking, they are so used to it as well as getting hit on (i.e. waitressing) that they may not appreciate it or take it seriously particularly if you do not talk to them much before you ask them out to figure out if they are someone you really want to go out with.

I don't know about your rule but I like a certain structure to dating because often dating involves two strangers or near-strangers and having common ground about the "process" makes the situation more comfortable. For example, I expect the man to call me and ask me out for a date he plans in advance. When instead I have gotten a call where the man, for example, said "I'm meeting my buddies to go bowling - how about we meet afterwards and hang out" it feels uncomfortable because I don't know this person. I want a time, place, a plan - if I want to hang out spontaneously I do that with people I know not someone I am trying to get to know on a first date.

Most of the rules just reflect good manners - the man suggests a place that, all else being equal, is more convenient for me to get to, he holds the door, helps me on with my coat if possible, etc. Again, it helps when getting to know a stranger that he has good manners. Of course he could just be putting on an act but if so, at least while I'm figuring that out I won't be with someone who is rude.

Archived