Putting down a pet

renaissancewoman101

I am glad to hear she is alright. If a pet is eating/drinking, and she is happy to see you then I agree she still has spunk in her. It seems that her pain is at least manageable. A pet that has limited use of a limb is actually usually more traumatic for us than them. I have worked with or known cart dogs that seem to have no clue that their hind legs are paralyzed, and they run along, hunt lizards, and pee like all the other dogs.

We've had to put down two cats in the last couple of years. They were both really difficult decisions, but it had come to a point where the cats had no quality of life and I felt it was unfair to keep them alive.

What made me really make the decision was the fact that I just couldn't deal with it if I found the cat dead in the house. That would have been too much for me to deal with. The illness that the cats had would have also led to a slow and painful death and I couldn't watch them live their final days like that.

I just spent almost $1,500 on one of my cats! It was worth it, though. I did this because his condition was completely treatable and he is now recovering nicely, though I am now broke. If he had been left compromised in the quality of his life, I would probably made the decision to have him put down.

It's interesting you guys brought up this thread from over a year ago. I ended up having to put Skittles to sleep because of his paralysis. She never regained the use of her legs and although she was able to eat and drink, her quality of life was very much diminished. I put a lot of time and effort, and money to try to save her and bring her back the use of her legs, but it didn't work.

Thanks though for posting to my thread.

I do have a credit acct set aside for my guinea pigs and have had to tap into it a few times for costly medical services. But they are worth every penny.

Archived