Question for American women

Cheeky Charmer

Well if that is really your picture and your have the English accent. I predict you will have NOOOO problems. ;-)

Yep that's me in the picture, my accent is half Hugh Grant half Jason Statham as I was born in Oxford and have lived on the south coast of England for the last 20 years.

Pucker, thats sweet at a pound if ya buchers that

Yep that's me in the picture, my accent is half Hugh Grant half Jason Statham as I was born in Oxford and have lived on the south coast of England for the last 20 years.

BTW Gary - Can you interpret SpuglyFuglets sentence???? ^^^

BTW Gary - Can you interpret SpuglyFuglets sentence???? ^^^

Well the term 'pucker' or another variant 'pukka' generally means 'excellent' or 'very good'

'Butchers' is shortened cockney rhyming slang for 'Butcher's hook' which means 'look' although in pugly's statement it contextually means 'if you can see that'

'sweet at a pound' I'm guessing he intends to mean similar to 'I'd buy that for a dollar' as used in the film 'Robocop'

Language is great isn't it?

I highly recommend visiting San Diego. Its my fav part of CA.

I'm planning 3-4 days in San Diego and I want to visit the gaslamp quarter(?) as I've heard this is a great place to hang out at night.

Do you have any specific places you might be able to recommend to me?

Thanks.

Funny stereotype, never heard about it.

Here in southern europe for example girls tend to dislike the common british man, and the stereotype of the country were to get the most interesting men around is Italy (one has to admit they dress well and care for themselves, specially the younger generations).

What they (the girls) tend to miss is that Italy is as much or more rich in beautiful women than handsome men.

Yeah in Europe, British men are stereotyped as loud, brash alcoholics. Unfortunately this is true in many cases as a lot of British people have little respect for the countries they visit, which is a shame and makes us all look bad

Agreed matey. I have been on holiday to some lovely places in Europe only to have it ruined by drunken English yobs who think it's clever to get really drunk and insult the local people. (To be fair, many of these types behave like this in Britain too, so it's not as if they suddenly change when they leave these shores)

I try to do my best to reverse and repair this unfortunate image of the Brit's abroad wherever I go; by hopefully showing that we are not all ignorant, rude morons who cannot have any respect for others.

Anyway, back on topic, I may have to memorise some Shakespeare sonnets to use as linguistic weapons of love when I visit CA

I'm planning 3-4 days in San Diego and I want to visit the gaslamp quarter(?) as I've heard this is a great place to hang out at night.

Do you have any specific places you might be able to recommend to me?

Thanks.

I didn't get to stop in the gaslamp district, its a cool area from what I've heard. I'm not a bar or club person, but there were some neat looking places down there.

Balboa park is amazing, I could spend days and days there. The zoo is right by Balboa park, its one of the best in the world. There are a whole bunch of Museums, too, the Mingei has a lot of intersting art and the Botanical garden has some really exotic plants.

Old Town State Park was a really touristy area, it has some appeal to see the restored houses and shops, but its very expensive. There are some great galleries in the area around Old Town and a lot of the surrounding area has restored homes that are gorgeous.

Mission Bay is a nice beach area, there's a board walk and lots of beach shops.

North up the coast from SD is La Jolla, a really posh area along the beach cliffs, expensive and packed with people.

Black's Beach north of La Jolla is a clothing optional beach, but to get to it is a fair climb down the 300ft cliff, there are stairs, but its a hike.

Gary, the Gaslamp is a cool area to go to, lots of different restaurants and clubs. You can get Indian, Japanese, and other types of food down in the Gaslamp. Some of the restaurants can be pretty pricey though. Croce's is a good place to eat at. It's an upscale jazz bar. Good food and nice music. A bit expensive.

I actually live somewhat within walking distance from the Gaslamp.

Some other places to check out in San Diego is Coronado. Drive over the Coronado Bay Bridge (it's free) and go around there. Some decent places to eat at and you can look over into San Diego and the bay from various parts. Check out the Hotel Del Coronado (not worth the money to stay there though). Nice old, historic hotel and is next to the beach.

I don't really want to leave home and my friends and I'm not a big fan of Los Angeles. It's a very intimidating city.

Ah ok, that's fair. My University is only 9 miles from where I have lived for over 20 years so I didn't have to leave friends and family behind.

I'm going back in October to do a Masters.... I must be crazy!

Ah ok, that's fair. My University is only 9 miles from where I have lived for over 20 years so I didn't have to leave friends and family behind.

I'm going back in October to do a Masters.... I must be crazy!

It's not that LA is far away or anything it's just not my favorite city.

Vegas is nice...if your 21.

woo hoo... I'm 32.

I'm old enough to know better, but I'll misbehave anyway. Poker, booze, more poker... excellent.

I really want to go and see Penn & Teller's live show too if it's still running when I get there.

And to keep this thread on topic yet again... I will speak in a loud voice and see what response I get.

Archived