Question about C Section

JimJohnson

My girlfriend went into the doctors today because she found out the baby is breech so they tried doing something where they turn the baby. Well that didnt work out and she is having contractions every 10 minutes or so. While she was on the meds from the operation it was like every 5-7 so the doc said that she will probably have the baby soon. They told her to go home and then in 2 days she will go back in to schedule the C section. Right now she is 37 weeks. Based off what anyone here knows about this stuff when do you think the earliest they will schedule this kind of procedure? Early next week or closer to her due date, June 17th?

The doctors usually like to wait as long as they can. If she is 37 weeks already, she can safely deliver. Of course the longer the baby stays in the better.

Sorry to hear the baby is breech. One of my babies was breech, they tried turning him also, but that didn't work either. Good luck, hope everything works out.

y'know it saddens me when drs just dish out c-sections

the best natural way to give birth to a breech is to stand up...maybe dad catch the baby and when the feet come out dont push, do nothing...let gravity gently do the work

breech birth isnt a complication its a variation so dont worry too much xx

Attempting to deliver a baby breech is alot riskier than most people realize. There are so many things that could go wrong!

as for the OP, I think the others have answered your questions really well but the best way to get the most accurate information is to ask the doctor as every case is different depending on healthy history and so on..

Dont' fret too much, my son was breech on up til 38 weeks and I had him at exactly 39 weeks.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for your input....Mythical did your baby end up turning or did you have C section? What are the chances that at this stage in the pregnancy the baby actually rotate? I could call the advice nurse to get some answers but Kaiser takes forever to get through too sooo... I turn here

My son turned on his own..

My drs attempted an ECV twice with no luck and my csection was scheduled for the day after my son ended up turning on his own. Since my son turned I wanted to attempt a vaginal delivery so I went into labor a week later and successfully had a vaginal birth.

While it is rare that babies turn this far in pregnancy with the lack of space it is still possible.

Based off what anyone here knows about this stuff when do you think the earliest they will schedule this kind of procedure? Early next week or closer to her due date, June 17th?

"Full term" is technically anywhere from 38-42 weeks, with 40 weeks being the average that is used to calculate due dates.

I will be having a scheduled c-section- and my doc prefers not to do it any earlier than 39 weeks.

Some other docs may do things differently though.

If your GF is 37 weeks right now she could safely deliver via c-section as others have mentioned- but most docs like to have the baby stay in there as long as possible- (assuming that the baby's health is not in danger of course). The main reason they like to wait is due to lung maturity.

Thanks for your help everyone. The next day after I posted this, she went in for a C Section. It was unexpected but they didnt have to do an emergency operation because she was there early enough when she was feeling contractions. She was a born a beautiful 7.1 Lbs 19 Inches.

Archived