How do I tell my girlfriend she needs to lose some weight?

I recomend that you don't "tell" her she needs to lose weight. You make her lose the weight by working out with her. Just ask her to:

Go take a walk together.

Go jogging together.

Go to the gym together.

Ride bikes together.

MAKE IT FUN.

Works for me. If you want her to stay in shape. You have to be willing to do the same.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you want to know how to tell her to lose weight? this one is simple. DON'T!! like you said, she's just getting some belly fat--girls have that. if she really starts to get FAT (like, you can see it in her belly, thighs, ass, and face) then you can ask her to be your jogging/workout buddy and cook healthy meals for the two of you.

• 1 month later...

Since as early as i can remember, I was over weight. For years my parents/friends/siblings/ and many other people informed me of my body fat as a major concern, and for years I dealt with it as a problem with any means possible- cover it up with baggy clothes- so on and so forth. It was not until two years ago a mentor of mine, my tennis coach, informed me the fat was NOT THE PROBLEM...it was a symptom. Since then I have gone to the gym about 3 times a week, and cut a good portion of SAT and Trans fat from my diet, and also things like high intake of simple carbs. (Sugary foods, desserts...) This BY NO MEANS I stopped eatings these things, I just came to the realization that these things just were not good for me. And please be my guest to argue that they are good for ones diet.(not talking about all fat and all carbs). But to get to the point, I lost about 30 pounds, and am now about 9-11% body fat.

Now for the advise, just get her to have a healthier lifestyle . If she has a healthy lifestyle than dont worry about the fat, its natural, and thats just the body she has gotten from genetics.

Notice, no mention of weight is needed. TREAT THE PROBLEM OF A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE(if there is one), NOT THE SYMPTOM OF THE FAT.

Now tell me how he could be wrong in having her to lessen her intake of simple carbs, and trans/sat fat (if she eats foods high in these categories), and exercise more. What is wrong with this?

Oh and to comment on what someone said about what the wrest of the world think about how we supposedly "over obsess about fat" or whatever, your right they DO LAUGH. About how so much of our population is over weight.

Coming from an international tennis academy i know.

Ive heard this from all over the world.....

they really look down on our society for not having control over out lifestyle.

Well thats my two cents...

Sorry to break it to you guys, but overtime every single one of us will gain some weight, and/or not look the same as we did in high school!

Right now a majority of people who answered this are young (20 and under), and trust me when I say, when I got a 9 hr/day desk job and started school part time my workout routine has been put on the back burner!

Metabolism slows down as you age - now, everyone is going to say that you need to keep active. Absolutely true, 100%. BUT as you get older and have to work you'll notice that you don't have as much time as you used to, and if you work at a desk job, you will gain some weight. Period.

Personally, I've gained about 5 pounds in the past year and a half, so I took that as a warning that i'm not exercising enough. I now have an eliptical, a weight machine and watch what I eat...and the 5 pounds is still hanging around! But my body shape has improved immensely in just over a month, so I guess the scale doesn't matter.

Overall, accept the fact that perfect looks don't last forever unless you are someone who has a physical job or enough free time that you spend a lot of it at the gym...or unless your job is a model, playboy bunny, or marathon runner.

Who a person is inside, is what you have in the end. If you are with someone longterm, you love them for who they are, not what they look like

In my previous relationship, we dated for 5 yrs and I got so comfortable and put on alot of weight 15- 20 lbs and I didnt have a baby.

Just eating take out for 3 meals a day with minimal excercise.

Well my bf then didnt come out and say you're fat.

He said he wanted to play bball and spend some time together,

so we joined a gym together.

Since we both were eating unhealthy,

he started to cook at home and buy more fruits...

and it kick started from there.

Even though I lost majority of my weight after the breakup.

That taught me to eat healthier and be more active today.

Help her yes - but never ever ever tell her that she's putting on weight. That sort of things leads to her being very insecure and will feel that she's not got any confidence in herself. Which willl lead to her either having an eating disorder or eating more to make herself feel better.

Help her with the cooking, cook healthy stuff. go on a diet with her. You might not need one yourself but if you ate the same stuff she ate, out of support it might help.

Also go for walks with her, exercise with her. Exercising is a good way to lose weight.

Archived