Quitting smoking...

I'm giving up smoking and its super difficult...

I was hoping that there may be some others trying to quit that we can offer support to eachother?

I hate it, but the cravings are AWFUL!

Hi Jellypuffpuffbean,

I can't give much support as I gave up more than 20 years ago. And it is still, to this day, the best thing I have done. I still can't figure out why I smoked, it's not like it gave me a buzz or anything. So, I was addicted to sucking in toxic fumes, blowing them our inanely at everyone else, littering by throwing the butts everywhere, staining my fingers, throwing my money away and smelling really bad all the time.

I managed it by hating it and everything to do with it. I still do.

Advice, have a plan. When did you smoke, what are you going to do in those times instead. I used patches back then and regular gum, to give my mouth something to do. My jaw ached after a week, and I focused on that. I also started hanging with my non smoking friends more, and drinking less.

Advice 2, have a fitness plan. You are going to put on weight, implement a workout plan to match this. And weight doesn't come on quickly. It will be a year down the line and you'll start to notice it. Then it will take you a year of pain to get rid of that.

Good luck, and stilck with it.

I know two guys that were hard core smokers for over 30 years, each. Both used hypnosis, done by a doctor, and quit the same day. One guy lives in England, the other in Canada, so two different hypnotists. Both have been smoke free for over 5 years and 10 years for the other. This would be worth investigating for you.

Would highly recommend Allen's Carr easy way to quit smoking, the video. It's about an hour and a half long, can't seem to find it on youtube, but I;m sure it;s there somewhere. If I find it, I'll post the link.

It helped me quit 5 years ago. BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE.

One thing it focuses on is that you are not weak against smoking, you are actually very strong and after it debunks some myths about enjoying smoking, you are ready to quit, feeling stronger as ever. It will tell you that you can smoke during the video, since you're already off the nicotine, don't do it, as tempting as it may sound. If you do, you'll restart the process which isn't very long to begin with, but is torture.

One thing that helped me, was, I dared myself. I said "Hey let's see how far you can take this. Nicotine withdrawal phase lasts for a week or so, I dare you!". So I did. I also used sleep A LOT. SO whenever you find time, like on the weekends, it's ok, don't go out, don't do anything, sleep it off. It really does get better and easier each day. Avoid other smokers, it's hard in the beginning and avoid drinking, it lowers are inhibitions, which means it will help you reach out for a smoke when you have a craving.

Every time a craving comes, remind yourself that even one puff will turn you back into a smoker; it's very addictive. Now you are not a smoker, keep it that way!

After so many years, I made the huge stupid mistake to try a joint which had nicotine in it. Ever since I looked for that high, the nicotine high. Ended up smoking for the last 4 months. Hated every second. Was addicted to the nicotine, clearly. Quit last week again, I got sick of it. I'm back to a non smoker and already enjoying it. I'm using the same techniques as before, the ones I mentioned; the ones I got from Allen Carr's video. Working like a charm. Seriously though avoid alcohol and get rid of any form of nicotine you have in the house.

Another key is you really have to want to quit. You really need to hate smoking. Realise exactly what it's doing to you and realise that it really doesn't haveanything to offer you. NOTHING.

One thing that most don't mention about quitting is the freedom in it. No more worries about running out of smokes; it may seem little, but it's really huge.

Hang in there, it's hard, but totally worth it!!

You can post here every time you have a craving! I can do the same if you want!

Archived