Getting stood up: is it a big deal?

I’m not sure if this is the right topic to post this forum in, but here it goes.

I’ve experienced getting stood up A LOT in my life. (It’s funny, I’ve never been cheated on, but I’ve gotten stood up all the time.)

When I talked about this with my ex, Ryan, he said, “Everybody gets stood up! I mean, it sucks, yeah, but it happens. It’s not a big deal.”

So I asked around if anyone else has experienced getting stood up. They’ve all said yes.

“My friend Hilary stood me up twice because she forgot.”

“I once invited 5 people to my house for dinner. They all said they would come...none of them did. I had prepared a huge meal and everything!”

So it looks like Ryan is right on some level. But EVERYONE ELSE I’ve spoken to about getting stood up has said that Ryan is totally wrong. (“It is a big deal; it’s rude.”)

But one may argue that if you do get stood up, Ryan’s attitude is at least a good way to handle it. Or is it? If not, then how should it be handled?

Thanks! All feedback/opinions welcome.

Seriously? People think this is no big deal?

Um, no, never ok. Not a friend, not for a party, not for a date.

Point taken. Literally no one agrees with Ryan.

But still, surely you would agree that feeling sorry for yourself and/or angry about it isn’t the way to solve the situation. So if someone does get stood up, what should s/he do about it?

1974 called. They want you to forget you have a cell phone with you, literally within inches of your hands, everywhere you go.

Funny and so true, lol.

But still, surely you would agree that feeling sorry for yourself and/or angry about it isn’t the way to solve the situation. So if someone does get stood up, what should s/he do about it?

I would never speak to that person again. Yes, it's happened to me. Once per person. No text, no call? No more me.

Do I have fewer friends because I don't accept being stood up? Yes.

Do I have better friends because the ones I keep don't stand me up? Yes.

Archived