Feel terrible about this

Creamybutter

So i have this issue. I'm an introvert by nature and have very different interests. Not into the usual topics, activities like drinking ang gossip. In more into nature, real conversations, deep stuff.

So there's this group of friends here who I've kind of been avoiding.. They have invited me for stuff (mostly their kind of events) and at times i go, but many times i skip with a lame reason..or just disappear for months and then resurface. Because i just feel so out of place.

I've noticed they have all gotten a bit annoyed with me. I still see them at mututal friends meet ups and as nice as they are, i can tell that they are feeling hurt or offended but unspoken.

I feel terrible about it. What can i do?

Tell them what you told us. Even as an extravert who understands that her introvert friends need down time, it still hurts being rejected all the time.

Tell them and if you want to maintain the connections, why don't you counter offer with invitations to do activities with people one on one that you think you will both enjoy?

But, do you want them in your life or not? If you could have a totally guilt-free scenario. Would you want to spend time with them in your life, but in a different form or amount? Would you want them as your friends, genuinely enriching your life in some ways and understanding your needs? Or, in ideal scenario, would you want just different friends, ones who share your values and interests, ones with whom you can feel more like yourself?

Try to imagine a dream scenario. And then try to make it happen.

I admit I consciously or unconsciously let go of several relationships with people who had just a different personality. In the short term, it was fun and enriching to get to know someone very different, but I didn't feel seen by them, cherished for who I am, and in the long run it was exhausting and not something I really wanted in my life. On the other hand, I have several friends who seem way more "down to earth" by me, and sometimes we have completely different views or needs, but after years of friendship I can honestly say that they love me for who I am, support me in my goals, and at least try to understand. They are absolutely worth keeping, but we have to negotiate our needs and ideas for spending time together.

Archived