My wife has problems with her mental illness.

Ldschumacher

My wife had a tough childhood. Being in a severely physically and mentally abusive home until she was four just to be sent to live with her equally abusive grandparents until she was removed at eight and skipped between foster homes I know it must be hard for her. I met her when she was just 17, already a drop out. I was 22 and already had my own apartment. I love her very much and I know she says it doesn't bother her but it does. She learned to cope, she had to. She does take medication for agoraphobia, bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, and all the things that go with it. She's not a sobbing woman. She's strong and beautiful. She's had a lot of people hurt her. She moved in with me a week after I met her and we've been married for six years. I work a lot and she doesn't like to be home alone and such. I wish I was better taking care of her. She's not been able to sleep lately, it's bringing her to tears. We took her to a psychologist and everything I'm just worried about her. She's having more break downs than usual. Finding her in tears alone breaks my heart. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any tips? Thank you. I'll give any added information needed.

This is tough on you and your wife. Is there someone that could stay with her for a spell? I would even consider paying a teenage girl to spend time with her. Being alone as much as she is must contribute to her depression. I have recently discovered the benefits of taking magnesium. Recommend 400 mgs daily. It has calming properties and assists with sleep too. Many people are deficient in magnesium and there are many benefits to it. Does your wife have any interests? if she had the company of a woman that knits, for example, she could teach your wife how to knit and they could have their knitting session. Your wife needs to be passionate about something. What are her interests? Are there any support groups that she can go to?

My mother had clinical depression all of her adult life. I was her caregiver at the last stage of her life. My situation is not exactly as yours, but there are similarities. It is important that you do not get depressed yourself. You would benefit from a support group yourself. Please keep us advised. chi

My wife had a tough childhood. Being in a severely physically and mentally abusive home until she was four just to be sent to live with her equally abusive grandparents until she was removed at eight and skipped between foster homes I know it must be hard for her. I met her when she was just 17, already a drop out. I was 22 and already had my own apartment. I love her very much and I know she says it doesn't bother her but it does. She learned to cope, she had to. She does take medication for agoraphobia, bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, and all the things that go with it. She's not a sobbing woman. She's strong and beautiful. She's had a lot of people hurt her. She moved in with me a week after I met her and we've been married for six years. I work a lot and she doesn't like to be home alone and such. I wish I was better taking care of her. She's not been able to sleep lately, it's bringing her to tears. We took her to a psychologist and everything I'm just worried about her. She's having more break downs than usual. Finding her in tears alone breaks my heart. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any tips? Thank you. I'll give any added information needed.

Do I have any tips? Well, I have don't have any "I did this" tips, but as a person with bipolar disorder myself and "all the things that goes with it", I know I needed all the support I could get. Make sure she stays on her meds and getting professional help. I finally found the right cocktail that allows me to be completely functional, and have been continuously employed for nearly a decade with a demanding job that makes good money. My brain was pretty much mush at first after my first manic incident and I had to go on disability. My wife found a program that helps people on disability finish their education, and, in spite of being regularly depressed and somewhat delusional (pre-perfect cocktail), I was able to get a 4 year degree while on disability. Only silver lining. Her mileage may vary. I can tell you, it DID take quite a bit of time to find the right cocktail, but there are many people out there with bipolar disorder that are living perfectly normal lives and you would never know.

Just keep in mind, to be with someone with a severe mental illness DOES require taking on somewhat of a caretaker role, sometimes for life. So you really need to determine whether you're up for the task.

Archived