Driving problems?

Hi all I've posted here before so thankyou for taking time to read.

I would class myself as a confident person and you need to be for my job which requires a lot of confrontation ( I've even been offered a area managers position ! ) the problem is I cannot drive a car to save my life.

I can't judge gaps at roundabouts , I can't understand hill starts, I just can NOT understand how driving works. I've tried automatics before they are no different. I've been trying to learn on and off for 4 years now... I never look forward to my lessons I always feel really chewed up and I never want to do them , but I feel asif I need to. You can't do anything in life if you don't drive!

What the hell is wrong with me? Does anyone else have this problem? Do I give up, keep trying or what. I've passed my theory after 5 attempts.

I see 17\18 year old girls driving around in flash cars and here's me the potential manager for very large security company can't even do a lesson without feeling like I'm going to break down.

How many driving instructors have you had? If it's one or two, then you need to try another one. If it's many more than that, then I dont know what the answer is. Are you incredibly nervous? What are your emotions when driving? Unfortunately some people are just not cut out to be drivers. I hope you live where there is public transportation.

Security Man.

It may be because you are learning to drive when older. Like most other things the younger you learn the easier it is. I think it isn't that you are afraid of the car/the road, but perhaps the fear is related to a past experience.

Anyhow,

According to Joanne Mallon, a recovered phobic and author of a new book How to Overcome Fear of Driving, the number of people scared about taking to the road is unknown. “It is absolutely everywhere, but it’s a hidden thing,” she explains. “When I talk about the book, so many people say, 'I thought it was just me’.”

From an article in The Telegraph

Fear of driving – and how to overcome it

Being too afraid to get behind the wheel is an incapacitating phobia that can leave sufferers isolated while costing a fortune in taxi fares.

Archived