Friendship with exes

Ex & I broke up due to distance 2 months ago, lived in separate countries, in college, so distance wasn't going to end soon. We weren't initially going to try to be friends but then we got in contact. In the end we decided not to try a friendship b/c he has a girlfriend now.

Thinking about things made me realize I don't know if I want him as a friend, not b/c we are not together b/c I feel in the future he won't fit in my life anymore. When I picture my life he doesn't fit in there even as friend. I don't know what the future holds but I have no idea if I want him in my life & I told him. I may never talk to him again b/c I don't know if I'll want a friendship or want to include him in my life. I know he wants me in his & he told me he hopes we can be friends.

We discussed this on Skype & I told him I think I should delete him but he convinced me to just block him, in hopes I'll decide to reach out in the future & that I can unblock him when I am ready. But I have this burning desire to cut him out, I know I shouldn't burn bridges but I feel like I won't want him apart of my life in the future or ever want to contact him even though I know I don't know what the future holds or what I want.

Also after I told him how I felt about everything he told me this, their is always a chance we could be together in the future, I am not trying to give false hopes but if it happens I don't want to miss it. That bit confused me, him saying that is making it hard for me to move on. None of us know what the future holds but I am pretty sure our relationship is over & if I ever decide to contact him I feel like even if we tried to be friends, I'll always want more.

I am trying to move on but I find it so hard. B/c the relationship didn't end for any other reason besides distance & I know I'll find someone but it is just hard when you thought as this person as your future. I know I don't know what will happen but I am finding it so hard not to think about the future or this.

We are no contact, we decided this but he wants try to be my friend in the future...which is something I don't know if I want. Basically he is leaving it up to me to decide to be friends down the road, and that's why he wanted me to block him and not delete him so I can just unblock him and say hey whenever I want too but I don't think I will ever reach a point of saying Hey to him again.

Well you do not want to drag a trainload of ex's turned "friends" through your life. Ex's turned friends usually spells unfinished business with the ex and most people will avoid getting involved with you because of that. It will interfere with your life, your ability to form new relationships, etc. It really is best to leave the past in the past. Only exception to that would be if you had children together, but that's not the case here. Clean break and move on. In your case it's easier anyway because of distance and so you two aren't around each other to begin with.

I am dealing with a similar situation right now. Sounds like he wants to keep a foot in the door with you which could prevent you from completely moving on. Maybe he's unsure of where it's going with the gf and wants to keep you as a long distance back up plan - not to lose you completely. I get that but I feel its very hard to be friends with exes, because I want to be able to talk to my friends about everything, including dates, relationships and so on and those types of conversations are normally not what exes want to talk about - contact usually turns into I'm thinking of you, missing the other person and unfinished business. I wouldn't tell him not to contact you, I would just not initiate anything at least while he has a gf. If he wants to make this happen, there are ways to do that - even long distance.

Archived