Advice on the path to love

JustHaveFaith

My worst fears were realized when the guy who had promised me forever and convinced me I had found what I had been searching for left me immediately after my father had died.

We had been fighting a lot and were undoubtedly in a rough patch, but I was convinced that we'd work through it. He had always made me feel like I was his world ...and yet now I wasn't even allowed in his solar system.

He made confusing comments about it not being "the right time" and that "one day we'd find our way back to one another..."

After we were broken up, he went so far as to put a lock on the Brooklyn Bridge with our names on it. It was his "promise" to me in our time apart. My head was spinning.

I couldn't eat. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't get work done.

My head was constantly thinking about the past and the foggy future but certainly not the current moment.

I couldn't let go. I'd reach out and be ignored. I felt pathetic.

It's 4 months later and I'm doing a little better with coping. I do what I have to in order to get by and read a lot of books on how to maximize ones happiness in life. My friends are supportive. I'm healthy. I'm grateful and yet I have this pit in my stomach. I'm afraid I lost the one true love of my life.

How rediculous does that sound? I know logically that can't be true. I know people have more than one love. All I need right now is some hope when I'm feeling low.

What was your path to love?

How did you get through the rut of the breakup?

How did you find love within yourself?

• 2 months later...

You are going through the exact same thing I recently experienced. Except the loss of your father, I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost mine 4 years ago and it's a long journey.

It's going to sound corny but the answer really is within yourself. What you have to do is have complete trust in the universe as it will bring you want you need at the right time. BUT for now, you have to let go. Let go completely of your expectations and the past. You're not there now, you're here. In this situation. For a reason. That is to learn from it and grow stronger as a person and know that you don't need someone else to bring you that missing piece. Once to believe and accept this for what it is, you'll be able to accept detachment whilst staying strong and happy. Try looking at 'infinite waters' youtube channel. He got me through my worst days and now I'm so excited for my present and future!

Archived