Request for Ideas

Hello lovely folks.

bit of a background who haven't seen any of my threads. gf broke up with me giving me shyte reasons. now i am fending for myself and i am trying to muster up ideas to do things. I don't drink so bars and pubs are boring. i am too old to go to clubs where i can't even hear my own voice.

so my question to everyone here is, what are you lot doing to fill up your time, new hobbies etc.

I am a fitness fanatic so to take it up a notch, I signed up for crossfit. but i still need to fill up my time, especially weekends.

what are you all doing to fill up your time? how are you keeping yourself busy? any new hobbies you have picked up? have you involved yourself in something new? any suggestions, sharing, tips, advice are greatly appreciated.

What about adult courses at local schools/colleges/libraries etc. in subjects you like? Or something like cooking courses or dancing lessons or something out of your comfort zone where you would meet women?

marvelous idea Wiseman2. I don't know how to cook at all. I definitely will have to look into this. you are a legend.

regarding the classes, i am a Coursera, edx, udemy, udacity frequent user and would definitely recommend any of these websites to anyone who wants to learn new skill or explore a new subject. free knowledge.

I think meetup may have been mentioned before on another thread, but if not, you might want to look into it. I joined one for sailing and am learning how to sail on a beautiful 40ft sailboat. I go once a week and have already learned a lot and made some great friends. I've joined some other meetups as well. Haven't been to any events yet, but plan to!

I've never done the volunteer thing, but I have a friend who volunteers at the local library to fill up some of her time. If you check out your local community website they will usually list opportunities for volunteering.

I second wiseman's suggestion of dancing lessons, especially if you want to meet (or just interact with) women. I'm part of a two dance clubs and we always need more men!

thank you gypsybird.

i am keeping away from meetups for now because I met her at a meetup and there are mutual friends at some of the meetups that are sort of more fun. I have joined another meetup that plays sports as i am not looking to go out to parties at bars, clubs. i am looking to have fun a different way. dancing is a brilliant idea and believe me I am decent as well. I used to break dance during my college days so i can shake a leg. but i have looked at dance meetups and the attendance is HORRIFIC. 1, 2, 3 rsvp's. maybe i should move to your city

I am HUGE fan of Meetup. I've moved quite a bit in my adult life and it has ALWAYS helped me make friends. I also really enjoy volunteering. In one place I lived I volunteered for a wildlife rescue organization and I made some extraordinary friends. And in one city I lived, I took swing dancing lessons which is out of character for me but I had a blast!

thanks parrot. i did join meetup and i am planning to go play volleyball saturday morning with a group. i love playing sports but where i am, there are surprisingly not many sports meetups. there was one and i played all kinds of stuff with them: softball, flag football, kick ball. i'll play anything. but that group all of a sudden disappeared. it had 2000 members! now all i see is paid golf lessons, golf meets with 1, 2 RSVPs and tennis.

Maybe try a group that you wouldn't ordinarily join (like me with the dancing). Try a book club or a sushi group or something you just haven't tried before. It might be an interesting experience for you.

I really recommend the volunteer idea though. You can't go wrong. Whether it's an animal shelter or a nursing home or whatever. I used to work in nursing homes for a living and I can guarantee you there are some lonely people at a nursing home near you who would love someone to play cards with.

Maybe try a group that you wouldn't ordinarily join (like me with the dancing). Try a book club or a sushi group or something you just haven't tried before. It might be an interesting experience for you.

I really recommend the volunteer idea though. You can't go wrong. Whether it's an animal shelter or a nursing home or whatever. I used to work in nursing homes for a living and I can guarantee you there are some lonely people at a nursing home near you who would love someone to play cards with.

forgot to mention, i took that idea and just finished registering at a website. now i have to go to an orientation before i can sign up for any volunteer activities. Thanks for the tip parrot. I will definitely enjoy playing cards and board games with them. i like board games.

I love nature and am in Tramping and Skiing clubs - a lot of people in my age group go. 40+

Use to be into trail running, but due to injury I've been laying low for a bit, it's an amazing intl community of people and you see amazing places. I volunteer for Aid stations for Ultras and Tri Clubs, heaps of people from different walks of life and fit and unfit. They always need helpers to set up events, sell merchandising, organise volunteers etc.. it's great for motivation and some events can really boost morale

That's great! If you contact ANY activities director at ANY nursing home, they will be thrilled to hear from someone who can give some time. It will be such a rewarding experience. I used to stay after work and ask some of the residents I worked with if they needed anything from Walmart or wherever. Many of them hardly get to go out. Many of them don't even get to go outside much because they are disabled and can't be left unsupervised... Imagine the joy you could bring someone if you showed up once a week and just offered to sit with them on the porch and listen to their stories. You also never know who you might meet in terms of staff or other volunteers, wherever you choose to go.

I also like to think about single periods as times to build my "dating resume," so to speak. Getting involved as volunteer with an organization will add another dimension to your personality and make you that much more interesting to the next person you're involved with romantically.

Really great choice Coyote... ANY volunteer experience is bound to bring some healing to your heart. Big hugs.

Thank you, parrot. this time around, I don't want to go out to bars, clubs, pubs and stay there late at night trying to hit on women. This time around, I want to do things that i have never done. and for that, I am willing to try anything. bars, clubs, pubs are out of bounds this time around.

Thank you Lisii for the awesome trips. unfortuntately, despite being a fitness fanatic my conditioning is pretty poor and running trails for miles at a time is beyond me. they might have to send search teams for me in the woods. hah. but i am hoping crossfit will fix that. I did just register at a volunteer group website here locally. i have put my name on the waitlist for this saturday's orientation. then it's on like donkey kong.

Music! I took up guitar when my kids were teenagers, and then over time switched to bass and became a bass player and in a blues/classic rock band for about 4 years until I moved last spring. I took lessons for years as it didnt come easy to me and at the end of 10+ yrs I am a pretty decent bass player. Not bad for left handed female with grown kids!

@brienoch: I have always wanted a dog and i also have a rescue org in mind from where I will get one. But for now, my apartment is not going to be big enough for the type of dog I want and it wouldn't be fair to him/her to keep him/her confined in a small space. so i definitely have that in mind, just waiting for the right time.

@melancholy123: I am looking into buying a guitar as well Someone from here has suggested what sort of beginner guitar I should look into.

Archived