Hello, everyone! Thanks in advance for your answers!

First some background: I am in my mid 20s. I take birth control - Kurvelo, and have for about 5 years (though I have changed brands 3 or 4 times in that period). The packs are 3 7-day rows of regular bc pills and 1 7-day row of placebo pills. For the first two months/packs, I take the first three rows, and discard the placebo pills. In the third month, I take all the pills, meaning I have my period once every three months. I take the birth control within a 1-2 hour period every night at 7PM. I can't even remember the last time I missed a pill - I've been quite consistent. On June 28th I had protected sex with my boyfriend - he used a condom and to my knowledge it did not slip, break, etc. I'm assuming he would have told me otherwise. This was the first time I had had sex since 2011.

The concerning thing is that I started experiencing spotting and cramping this week Tuesday (7/7). This is continuing today. The spotting was light pink the first day and has transitioned to a brown. Spotting is not common for me - I had it in the past, but my birth control was adjusted to a higher level to prevent this breakthrough bleeding, and it hasn't happened in quite awhile. I would not even have considered pregnancy given the measures we took, except I googled the symptoms and the thing that kept popping up was implantation bleeding (as an anxious person, I probably shouldn't be googling anything medical)! The symptoms and timeline (9 days after intercourse) line up with the idea of implantation bleeding. I know I would probably have to be a statistical anomaly to become pregnant under there circumstances, but I am still somewhat concerned and thought I would reach out for others' opinions. I know it is too early to take a pregnancy test, and I can't wait until I'm supposed to get my next period because that would be the end of September! Thoughts??

Statistical anomalylylylylylylylyly is more like it... if that even makes sense.

I often worry about being pregnant under impossible circumstances, so I totally know where you're coming from. I usually compile a list;

-You're on birth control and use it as directed.

-He was using a condom.

-The only time you can conceive is slightly before, during, or right after ovulation and with birth control there is no question as to when you're ovulating.

-So even if the birth control was faulty, the condom was also faulty, AND you just so happened to be ovulating during this time, the chances of conception are low. The presence of sperm vs semen, sperm count, hazardous conditions of navigating the female anatomy such as acidic fluids, the length of the journey to the egg, etc...... you get the point.

I would attribute the spotting and cramping to your womanly parts adjusting to having sex for the first time in a while. In addition to that, your stress about potentially being pregnant can further aggravate and prolong any symptoms you're experiencing.

Unless it's severe or persists for an unusual amount of time, I wouldn't worry.

Go see a doctor if it persists or the symptoms become acute. Or just for peace of mind! =]

Hello, everyone! Thanks for the reassuring feedback. And now for an update and some more questions!

The symptoms have persisted and gotten worse. Yesterday I started having moderate lower back pain; not like you feel when you've pulled a muscle or you've been on your feet all day, but a general discomfort and occasional sharper pain in my back and left side. Also, this morning when I wiped after using the bathroom I was greeted with some bright red blood.

Given that the risk of pregnancy seems slight (which my boyfriend agrees with - he said he examined the condom after sex and it was intact) and it is now 2 weeks past intercourse (and about one week before my period) and I took an early response pregnancy test, which came back negative (though I purchased like 5 tests in a fit of panic so I can try again closer to when my period would be expected), I decided to look at other possible causes. One that stuck out was a UTI (which I have never had before). I didn't necessarily have burning when I pee or frequent urination but something does just feel off down there. I went to a Bellin fast care clinic today to be tested and, to my surprise, the test came back negative - no sign of infection, but there was blood in my urine (must have been microscopic because it was not visible to my eye when I took the urine sample)! As far as I can tell, blood in your urine is also not a symptom of pregnancy.

So now my mind is racing. I'm considering STDs, but my boyfriend was tested two months ago and was clean and I was tested last fall and this is the first time I have been sexually active since then. Plus the sex was protected. I did schedule an appointment with planned parenthood for std testing this week. I will have to pay out of pocket because I am on my parents' insurance and don't particularly want to bring this to their attention. I can cancel the appointment if needed.

I have an appt. scheduled with my GP in August, which I clearly cannot wait for if this doesn't resolve. My GP is in a different city (1.5 hours away) than I live and work in because of the restrictions on my parents' insurance, which I use because my job at a nonprofit does not provide medical insurance. My week is unbelievably busy at work and I'm quite sure, without calling in sick one day, that I couldn't get in to see her this week. Thoughts?

Usually when I'm stressing about possible pregnancy my cycle does all sorts of weird things. Little bits of blood, cramping, bloating, no blood, tightness in certain muscles, etc. I would probably give yourself at least an extra week from when your period is expected. Again, if it's not too much trouble, it doesn't hurt to consult a doctor. At the very least itll help put your mind at rest!

• 3 weeks later...

Hy everyone!

I am also very paranoid when it comes to getting pregnant.I really don't want it to happen but the funny part is that I actualy never had sex.I ask my bf to wash his hands before fingering me...I know it's all stupid but I just can't help it becouse I'm so stressed over getting pregnant.I would like to have sex with him but my anxiety is stopping me from doing it.Can somebody please help me to get over my paranoid thoughts??

Archived