"Informal meeting" - what does it mean?

So I 'cold called' a few companies this week to see if they have anything available and after sent them my CV. All of them didn't really say they had anything available but they'd forward it on anyway. So I get a call this morning from one of the bigger ones asking me if I can come in next week and meet with --------- (Managing Director, I didn't know at the time) for an "informal meeting/chat" at their head office.

My question is, has anyone had this kinda thing before? I'm sort of unsure as to what to expect as I've never experienced this before. I've only ever really had formal type interviews.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Informal means just that - it's an interview, more of a chat, without all the formalities that you'd get at an interview. A lot less scary, and much more about you being you, than trying to create an impression.

Go for it, and good luck! In fact, make up your mind that you're going to enjoy yourself, and look upon it as an opportunity for you to get a feel for the place!

Informal meeting is an euphemism for charming supervisors. They want to know if you know your stuff and why you want to work for them. Screening, basically. Make sure you've researched the company prior to the meeting so you know the important "buzz words" they are looking for in a candidate. Employers are super impressed if you research their company goals. You have to think like a car salesman and sell yourself to the company.

When you get the real-deal interview, you have to switch your mindset as a problem solver since many of the questions are usually like "How would you handle this situation," "Describe your day as...," etc.

You will not be hired during an informal meeting, but impressing them is a way to get them to recognize you and your abilities.

Archived