Sore throat

I have had a really sore throat for about a week now. At night it gets worse. Sometimes it feels dry and hurts and sometimes it just feels froggy. I feel like coughing but I can never really get it out. Any over the counter medicine you know of that can make me feel better? It is especially rough when I am trying to sleep. I can feel every breath I take hitting at that spot and hurting, or there is this ticklish sensation that constantly makes me feel like coughing.

It's always good to take a hot shower and just inhale the steam or you can try some vaporub or shower soothers.

When I have a sore throat, I like to heat up hot water and add a spoonful (maybe more) of honey mixed in. In usually, helps for a lil' while.

Feel better.

I had a very very sore throat for a week about a year ago. It got to the point where I was getting worried. Advil, sucrets, chloraseptic...nothing worked. I got swabbed for strep at the Walgreens clinic and it was negative. They sent me to the Urgent Care where I was given a shot of Demerol, Tylenol-3, and 800mg of Motrin. I was diagnosed with a pretty bad case of viral Pharyngitis. No antiboitics will work on viruses. The medicine took the edge off the horrible sore throat, and the Demerol gave me very fast relief. I only took about 3 days worth of the prescriptions before it began to subside.

If it has persisted this long, chances are its viral. It will go away in time, but if the pain is so bad that it feels like you are swallowing knives like it was for me, just go to a doc and get some relief with prescription strength stuff.

I never to go the doctor unless I'm A) dying, B) bleeding out of bad places or C) in lots and lots of pain whose source I can't identify. This qualified for sure!

Good luck and I hope you feel better!!

• 3 years later...

Archived