Uggh Cannot Cure "New Pet" Fever!

Sunny1607307996

I am a college student FINALLY moving out of my parents house in August. I am extremely lucky with my housing; my friend's dad bought a house and is renting it out to her friends. The rules on pets: I can have anything I want as long as it stays in my room.

I asked about the rule because I am already bringing my fish and 14 year old corn snake with me. (I also have a dog, but my parents and I both decided she would be happier living with my parents, mostly because there are 2 other dogs to keep her company, a fenced in yard, and lots of people to take her on walks).

Every since hearing about "the rule", I cannot shake the feeling that I really, really want a new pet. This is a feeling that I've had for roughly 2 weeks now. I was hoping it would go away overnight, but it just keeps getting stronger!

I have been researching pets but my options are rather limited. I cannot get anything that is nocturnal, since I will be housing the pet in my bedroom and I am a light sleeper. I cannot get anything that eats live crickets. (It's not the ick factor, its the fact that crickets are noisy, smelly, and can escape). I cannot get anything that is too expensive or too high-maintence. I cannot get anything that cannot spend 98% of it's time in my room.

This basically limits my options to a fire-belly newt, a fancy mouse, or another snake. I've already had snakes and mice, and a newt sounds sort of interesting, but I would have to buy a filter and special-order the newt.

I have also tried to cure my "new pet" fever by visiting pet stores and holding the baby animals and I even volunteered over the weekend and got to take care of a puppy for a few hours. I have added up the costs of new potential animals in an attempt to show myself how expensive they would be. I have tried to tell myself that I can continue to volunteer/visit pet stores and can visit my dog on weekends but I simply cannot shake this feeling that I want a new pet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Either of a pet that would work in my situation or of a way of getting rid of this "new pet" itch? I am driving myself nuts!

Haha, I've always got that new pet itch! Then I get one, and learned how much time and money they really take! I've got a ferret and an iguana now. I don't recommend either of them if you are looking for something low-maintenance to keep in your room. I had a parrot in college, and I also don't recommend that, either!

I used to have leapard gheckos and anoles. Not at the same time. But if I remember right, I fed them those mealworms or waxworms or something. They were fun and fairly low maintenance and low cost. I probably wouldn't go for another snake, as you already have one anyway. I heard mouth rot is a problem with them. You don't want to get your 14 year old snake sick & end up with 2 dead snakes. I've heard of that happening.

Aren't mice nocturnal? I forgot about that little fact when I got a hamster in college. Until the first night I had it. That little thing drove me up the wall. It would NOT calm down & I needed sleep!

I'll try to think of other low-maintenance pets. How about a Beta?

My boyfriend and I momentarily considered getting a couple sugargliders, until we found out they were noisy & flinged their crap everywhere. Glad we read about them first. NEXT!

Thanks allie!

I've researched anoles and geckos, but from my research their main diet should consist of crickets. I've read that mealworms can cause impaction and waxworms are too fatty and should be used as the occasional treat. They can eat silkworms (I think) but silkworms must be special ordered and it would be a very expensive food.

The new snake wouldn't be housed with my poor old snake for that very reason. I'm really not looking for a new snake, I'd rather have something different.

Mice might be nocturnal, I'm not sure. They probably aren't a good idea.

I actually have a few bettas already. I have goldfish & bettas in various tanks and bowls that are coming with me next year. I thought about getting a new betta to cure my itch but none of my local pet stores have any pretty ones right now.

I would LOVE to get a ferret. We used to have one and it was just the best pet ever! There are a few in our classifieds that for sale----less than $100 for the ferret AND cage, plus toys, food bowls, litter boxes...everything. But even if I ferret-proofed my room, I don't think it would be very happy for very long. Plus I can't have it poop on rented carpet! I could take the ferret home on weekends and it would have some dogs to play with...but I can't necessarily do that every weekend. Plus I'm not sure if I could stand the smell being contained to ONLY my bedroom. But I want one rather badly.

Yes, ferrets are very smelly!! I'm so glad it's summer that I can open the patio door and put the fan next to it to bring in the fresh air. My apartment is really too small to have a ferret so closeby. She's so cute, but she drives me nuts pooping everywhere! I put litterboxes in the corners around the apartment & she will poop NEXT to them!! urgh! Other than the smell and pooping everywhere, she is a good pet. I would not EVER keep one in a small bedroom without a ton of ventilation at all times.

How about a frog?

If ferrets were not so smelly and used the litter box every time....*sigh*.

I looked into Pacman frog but I can't seem to find a type of frog that doesn't eat crickets as their main diet. I am also concerned about possible singing/croaking. I think I could feed a poison dart frog, but they are apparently "not for beginners". Have you had frogs?

Well, I had a tadpole once but it died before it finished turning into a frog. So no, I've never had a frog. It just seemed like a possibile pet for you.

I think cockatiels are easier to care for than parrots. They really aren't too noisy, don't cost much once you have the bird cage as they just eat cockatiel food. But they require more attention and maintenance than a newt or fish would. I had a cockatiel for a while & he was okay. He was full grown when I got him and was scared of people. My mom gave him and my parrot away when I had to go to military training for a couple months. She said she would take care of them while I was gone and when I got back, they were gone. She gave them to some mentally disabled kid. The parrot died shortly after because they didn't know what they were doing. I don't know what happened to the cockatiel, but I feel bad about it. She will not be caring for any of my pets anytime soon...

alli- My parents actually have a cockatiel. It has bonded to my little sister and it will bite anybody else, including me, and I'm the one who feeds it!

You have provided some great ideas, I will continue looking. It's nice to know I"m not the only one with the "itch!"

thejigsup--I thought that turtles required a lot of space? I will certainly start researching them.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Archived