panic attack and anxiety, out of the blue.

KG

Just came on, about ten minutes ago. Hands are shaky, mind conjuring up terrible stuff....why? I mean nothing here associated itself to me. ????

I call that "overflow anxiety".... like the brain is a dam that has to drain off the excess. It happens to me sometimes out of the blue too. Usually I need something like chamomile tea to knock it down to manageable levels.

I think what triggered it was the solitude. My son was here with me for 2 days, home sick. He went to school today, and the feeling of loneliness hit me. I miss my wife, and it's hurting me...over 2 years since my wife died, and I still have trouble believing it's real.

I'm sorry to hear this. hugs my friend!

Yes, I don't shake but I do get this surge of panic and anxiety, too.

I stop whatever I'm doing at that time. If I feel like crying, I cry. Let it out. Crying is very therapeutic. Write what you are feeling, what you are afraid of, in a journal. Some people cope by immediately going to their friend/trusted co-worker and talking to them about it. If talking doesn't work for you, but hugging someone, holding on to someone for a few min. helps you, do that. That doesn't work for me. I isolate myself and cope-up on my own.

Yes, going for walk, listening to soothing music, drawing, coloring, looking at kids, playing with kids, playing with dogs, looking at flowers, and this may sound silly but even a puff of air freshener helps me feel better. I always keep one at hand.

I regularly spend some time doing meditation n praying. I still get panic attacks but they are not as frequent and as bad now. What also helped me was after I've calmed down, I would sit and write down what possibly triggered my panic attack. What was I thinking before I went spiralling down. Also, is my fear, anxiety real? If it is, what can be done to cure it? If it is not, is it b'coz I'm comparing myself with someone, is it b'coz I'm wanting things to happen on my own schedule?

If this feeling of anxiety n panic attack increases then I would certainly consider going to a physician and possibly getting on some pills to balance out the chemicals in brain so that other measures like meditation, walking, etc. can really help.

Take care, hang in there!

I used to have panic attacks and I guess I do still have the type you are describing. If they are getting to the point where you keep losing consciousness it would be a good idea to go to the ER.

It is so emotionally draining to experience something so traumatic as a full blown panic attack so I guess it is best to take make a preemptive attack.

At the very first sign of hyperventilation that is when you have to do breathing exercises to calm yourself down. I found it was also best to put your eyes on something they could focus on besides impending doom. You could try a book, tv, a walk, or even kicking a ball between your feet just to shift your focus.

If you are afraid of them striking at random today I would avoid driving.

It passed....thanks everyone.

There was time when I wasn't getting them at all...now they seem to be occurring again.

I think I have to talk with my grief counselor about this, the triggers. Cuz I honestly don't know.

It might be a good idea to keep a diary of when the attacks occur, to show your counselor how bad you feel. Then they can give you some meds or more natural methods to help you.

I'm off the Lexapro, but keep Xanax for the attacks.

It seems like the trigger is usually hard to find. For me, I would get them when taking a shower, parking the car, or brushing my teeth. I heard they would strike at the most random times for a lot of people. I kind of think it is because some of us have a developed defense mechanism where our emotions and stress get put on the back burner while dealing with "crisis" situations. This allows us to function through hard times. But I guess the mind slowly becomes polluted by stressful thoughts and the emotions becomes expressed suddenly.

Just a guess though. Mine went away when I moved out of the house. Maybe you just have to make some change.

It seems like the trigger is usually hard to find. For me, I would get them when taking a shower, parking the car, or brushing my teeth. I heard they would strike at the most random times for a lot of people. I kind of think it is because some of us have a developed defense mechanism where our emotions and stress get put on the back burner while dealing with "crisis" situations. This allows us to function through hard times. But I guess the mind slowly becomes polluted by stressful thoughts and the emotions becomes expressed suddenly.

Just a guess though. Mine went away when I moved out of the house. Maybe you just have to make some change.

Not really any chenges I can make, but thank you for the thoughts!

Archived