Hidden/Concealed pregnancy - Finding out quite late on!

MissyM

I'm in the process of writing a novel, something I've wanted to do for a long time. The central character is pregnant for 4 or 5 months before she realises that she is going to have a baby. I just wondered if anyone else has any experience of this kind of thing? Either going full term and then having a baby you weren't expecting, or going a few months and not realising? can you give me any detials of what you went through? When did you realise you were pregnant? Was symptoms did you have that made you realise? how did your partner/family react?

My daughter was 5 months pregnant when she found out. She had gone to the ER because she was having severe pains in her back and abdomen accompanied by a lot of vomiting and fever. The doctors were doing their examination and asked her when was her LMP. She had just finished her cycle the previous week. They did an ultra sound on her belly to look for whatever it was they were looking for and found a baby. LOL They said 'you are pregnant and you are about 5 months.' The pain that she was experiencing was actually a kidney problem. She never suspected that she was pregant as she was still getting a cycle each month.

I was reluctant to believe her by my mom said that she also had a cycle for 4 months when she was expecting me.

Thanks for that Metrogirl. Was she showing much at the five month point? Had she noticed any differences in her body?

can't say that she was showing, she is a bigger girl not fat just thick around the middle.....so I certainly didn't notice anything. She didn't really feel any different, she never suffered from morning sickness. She had been tired more but I figured that was because of her kidneys.

I asked her if she felt any movement in her belly, and she said she hadn't......

Would you not feel the baby kick by then??!!

I mean I could feel it at 18-22 weeks which is about 3 months time...

Perhaps if you don't know you're pregnant, you wouldn't necessary know what it was if you felt any movement? Maybe just put it down to wind or something? lol.

Would you not feel the baby kick by then??!!

I mean I could feel it at 18-22 weeks which is about 3 months time...

I know, I always felt it around the 4th month or so......However it's been a longgggggg time since I've had any babies.....LOL

I've often wondered about the women that go through the entire pregnancy not knowing they were pregnant. I thought at least by the 3rd trimester you would feel something going on in there.

I know, I always felt it around the 4th month or so......However it's been a longgggggg time since I've had any babies.....LOL

I've often wondered about the women that go through the entire pregnancy not knowing they were pregnant. I thought at least by the 3rd trimester you would feel something going on in there.

Yeah, a friend of a friend of mine went to A&E with severe stomach ache and came out with a baby. I've never been pregnant, so I don't know what it feel like, but it seems strange that you wuoldn't know you were carrying 7lb of baby around in your womb.

My grandmother had six kids.. She told me that for one of those pregnancies she had her period about half the time she was pregnant. She knew she was gonna have my uncle when she felt that movement, she had felt before...

Sorry if I am not much help however. I am sure if you google it there must be millions of such stories on the net..

Good luck with your book! How exciting@!!!!

I worked with a woman who did not find out she was pregnant until she was 7 months along. She was a bit of a heavy girl and she did gain 15lbs but she attributed it to poor diet. She had periods right along, had no morning sickness or other symptoms. She had been broken up with the baby's father for about 5 months when she found out.

They ended up getting back together and getting married.

It happens. Two of my aunts whom are nurses have both had patients whom did not know until they actually went into labour (they were both heavier women). They had periods (a bit different than "normal" but nothing they were alarmed about).

My best friend in high school did not now until she was four months along - she was a small/petite girl but was still getting periods and kinda attributed it to the flu (she gave the baby up for adoption via an open adoption). She really did not start showing until later in the 4th month either (after she had found out) - even though she was petite she only popped then and carried it all in the front.

It also is common among those whom have addictions or mental disabilities - when you don't know your body that well or aren't really paying attention to it.

Yes, you would think people might feel kicking or pressure...but you know, some people are not that in tune with their bodies and some people are pretty unhealthy as is or have other illnesses that may mask the symptoms (like IBS or something) and may not really "think" of it if they have no reason to suspect pregnancy.

Well, I don't know about you yourself not knowing, but I can definitely see how you can hide it from other people. If i had wanted to keep my pregnancy a secret I believe I could have b/c you couldn't really tell i was pregnant completely until the very end. I'm tall w/ wide hips and am kinda thick (not obese or anything) and my baby just had room so my stomach just didn't have to poke out a lot until late in the pregnancy.

I agree though, the kicks are too strong for you to ignore. I mean you could to begin with, but surely not after the 6th month. If I had felt that and not known what it was during th 7th months and on, I promise you, I'd have had it checked out.

Your book sounds really interesting........

• 2 years later...

Hi i've just found out last week that im over 4 months pregnant! Had no idea, was on pill and periods were never regular so never noticed. My breasts have got bigger and put a bit of weight on but i just put it down to my lack of regular gym.

I have a 6 year old already and was very sick from the moment i was pregnant havint been sick at all through out this one, just very tired but between work and my wee girl its normal.

What is worrying me is that the dad and i broke up and i have been partying and drinking alot, having no idea that i was pregnant. We have sorted it out and our back together. Now im stressing there might be something wrong. Have to wait until my 20 week scan to see it. Has anyone else had a little surprise like this? Was everythin ok?

Any response would be great xx

I remember watching a segment on TV, I forgot what channel it was, but it shared stories of different women who didn't know they were pregnant until the very end.. like when they were about to give birth. I remember one of the stories. There was a women who was working at a fast food joint, and she felt lightheaded or whatever, so she asked someone to cover for her while she was went to the bathroom. Then randomly she started peeing blood or whatever (sorry if this is too graphic)..and then, I dunno, she randomly started pushing in the bathroom by herself and out popped a baby! Has anyone else seen this on TV? I think it was called "I didn't know I was pregnant" lol

And yeah, the women also said they didn't know they were pregnant because they have been getting periods and have been on the pill and all that stuff so it was all unexpected. I think another story was that this woman fainted somewhere and when the ambulance came, they checked up on her and told her and her boyfriend (or was it husband..?) that she was pregnant and that she'd have to start pushing then and there. So bizarre but I guess it happens!

Archived