Ask For Advice

Thread: K, so the boyfriend in on a diet...

cacain119

K, so the boyfriend in on a diet...

Which is great, I want to encourage him! He's not *fat* -- but just has trouble areas, and is doing South Beach -- I'm really proud of him...

But now his birthday is coming up and as some of you are familiar, South Beach during the first phase is pretty darn limited! I want to take him out to dinner, etc (I don't want him to have to pay on his own birthday!) but I don't know where to take him because of it. I want to make a cake, but can't because it's against his list of foods he can eat...

What should I do??? I really want to make his day special. =/

Scotcha
    You could always try to look up some recipies that fall into the first phase of the diet and make him a special dinner.

CarnelianButterfly
    Platinum Member CarnelianButterfly's Avatar
    You can make a cake with almond flour instead of regular flour, there are so good recipes on the web, google "almond flour" and cake. I made a chocolate one with Splenda its not the same texture as a regular cake and the artificial sweeteners can taste funny after years of real cake, but I liked it and since its very, very low carb its not a that far off the diet plan.

There are several restaurants, Applebees for one, that have lower carb menu items. Eating out can be hard, but salads and steamed veggies are usually available at most places. You could always cook him a nice meal yourself. If he bought the South Beach book take a look at the meals and maybe cook one he hasn't tried.
    Last edited by CarnelianButterfly; 06-02-2006 at 12:15 AM.

vesper
    Platinum Member
    hmmmmm, my dad is on the atkins diet and he just replaces all bread with salad and eats lots of chicken and fish. When we go out, he always orders the fish or salad. As for desert, that's a no no, my dad has diabetes. Well, not anymore he is a raquet ball champ now so he is super fit. I can imagine that if it was my birthday, I would eat my birthday cake !! just make sure you know what his favorite cake is and I am positive that he may just eat half a slice at the least.

Mr Mister1
    Can't he have one small break from the diet? It's his birthday afterall. Once it's over he can go back to eating carfully.

RayKay
    Most restaurants have plenty of options for people on all sorts of "diets" or requirements. I eat pretty healthy, and never have a problem finding something. Even when I was vegetarian for several years, there were always options. I have friends with celiac disease too, whom can't eat gluten, but always are accommodated for when we go out. You can also often phone restaurant ahead of time and ask them to make something that fits the needs. On many menus I also notice they indicate low-carb items now too.

He can always order grilled chicken or fish, with a nice salad (dressing on side) or something. I usually order stuff like that anyway, I love big fresh salads!

And as Carnelian pointed out, there are many flourless cake recipes out there. Try googling, or link removed. Look also in books for gluten free recipes, etc. And Splenda is a good sugar substitute to use in baking.

It's his birthday, so I am sure he can splurge a LITTLE bit, as long as he does not go overboard and get thrown off track permanently. It's important that when you "diet" you make it something you can live with as a lifestyle, you will be much more successful. And that means not depriving yourself of everything!

Momene
    If I'm on a long term diet, I will break it just for one day or I will avoid starting diets near to family birthdays.

Top Threads
What's the point of relationships?
Let's assume there's no happy ever after, just people coming and going. What's the point of being in a relationship if breaking up is just as painful
Living Together For 4 Years, But I'm Exhausted/Frustrated.
I've been with my girlfriend for 9 years and we've been living together for 4 years. We're in our late 20s and our relationship started near the end
Long distance. 40's, just not sure, any thoughts?
Hi people and thanks reading.. This is complicated so may go around a bit sorry but l would love to hear your thoughts or advice because l just
perfect relationship: led to her cruelty and my desperation.
Hi, This is my first post...so bare with me.. I was in an absolutely incredible relationship for about a year. I had genuinely come to the idea
Am I just unlucky?
First, everyone, thank you for being so kind with me here in the forums. I really appreciate everything you've told me so far. Your suggestions and
Should I Worry About my Boyfriend Going Back to Ex-Wife?
I've been with my boyfriend for 14 months now (7 where we have been "officially" bf/gf). I am really in love with this man. We are both mid-thirties
My boyfriend said I have nothing to offer?
He told me I have nothing to offer other than sex. He called me a nobody even though I am going to school and have a part time job. What does he mean

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Heard my ex-boyfriend having sex
Please please please help me. Tonight I heard my ex boyfriend having sex with another woman and I'm totally gutted and sick inside. Unfortunately
Advice married man
I am 38 yrs old 2 kids ( 8 and 17) I was in a relationship with my ex for 21 years and things ended. Fast forward 6 months I met a wonderful man who
I have an experiment on how to attact
I often hear lately that women and men want the exact same things and are attracted to the exact same things. I don't believe this one bit, so I
My boyfriend said I have nothing to offer?
He told me I have nothing to offer other than sex. He called me a nobody even though I am going to school and have a part time job. What does he mean
What do I do HELP.
Ive dated this girl for just over two years our relationship started off great. We were in love and I could see myself marrying this girl. A few
5 years later with silent treatment
I am 44 yr old woman with someone 6yrs younger. I was taken to an emergency hospital 2 weeks ago with suspected stroke..he left me at the door of
Help... I'm driving myself crazy.
So my ex and I have been broken up for 4 months. We have had no contact in four months. He blocked me on Facebook immediately after the breakup. Last
Ask For Advice