Ask For Advice

Thread: K, so the boyfriend in on a diet...

cacain119

K, so the boyfriend in on a diet...

Which is great, I want to encourage him! He's not *fat* -- but just has trouble areas, and is doing South Beach -- I'm really proud of him...

But now his birthday is coming up and as some of you are familiar, South Beach during the first phase is pretty darn limited! I want to take him out to dinner, etc (I don't want him to have to pay on his own birthday!) but I don't know where to take him because of it. I want to make a cake, but can't because it's against his list of foods he can eat...

What should I do??? I really want to make his day special. =/

Scotcha
    You could always try to look up some recipies that fall into the first phase of the diet and make him a special dinner.

CarnelianButterfly
    Platinum Member CarnelianButterfly's Avatar
    You can make a cake with almond flour instead of regular flour, there are so good recipes on the web, google "almond flour" and cake. I made a chocolate one with Splenda its not the same texture as a regular cake and the artificial sweeteners can taste funny after years of real cake, but I liked it and since its very, very low carb its not a that far off the diet plan.

There are several restaurants, Applebees for one, that have lower carb menu items. Eating out can be hard, but salads and steamed veggies are usually available at most places. You could always cook him a nice meal yourself. If he bought the South Beach book take a look at the meals and maybe cook one he hasn't tried.
    Last edited by CarnelianButterfly; 06-02-2006 at 01:15 AM.

vesper
    Platinum Member
    hmmmmm, my dad is on the atkins diet and he just replaces all bread with salad and eats lots of chicken and fish. When we go out, he always orders the fish or salad. As for desert, that's a no no, my dad has diabetes. Well, not anymore he is a raquet ball champ now so he is super fit. I can imagine that if it was my birthday, I would eat my birthday cake !! just make sure you know what his favorite cake is and I am positive that he may just eat half a slice at the least.

Mr Mister1
    Can't he have one small break from the diet? It's his birthday afterall. Once it's over he can go back to eating carfully.

RayKay
    Most restaurants have plenty of options for people on all sorts of "diets" or requirements. I eat pretty healthy, and never have a problem finding something. Even when I was vegetarian for several years, there were always options. I have friends with celiac disease too, whom can't eat gluten, but always are accommodated for when we go out. You can also often phone restaurant ahead of time and ask them to make something that fits the needs. On many menus I also notice they indicate low-carb items now too.

He can always order grilled chicken or fish, with a nice salad (dressing on side) or something. I usually order stuff like that anyway, I love big fresh salads!

And as Carnelian pointed out, there are many flourless cake recipes out there. Try googling, or link removed. Look also in books for gluten free recipes, etc. And Splenda is a good sugar substitute to use in baking.

It's his birthday, so I am sure he can splurge a LITTLE bit, as long as he does not go overboard and get thrown off track permanently. It's important that when you "diet" you make it something you can live with as a lifestyle, you will be much more successful. And that means not depriving yourself of everything!

Momene
    If I'm on a long term diet, I will break it just for one day or I will avoid starting diets near to family birthdays.

Top Threads
that might sound a bit crazy but pls try not to judges...
that might sound a bit crazy but pls try not to judges... I needed to go to a seminar for 2 and a half weeks but i canceled it in the last moment
Boyfriend gave tons of hickeys while I was very intoxicated
Yesterday, I hung out with my boyfriend that was only supposed to be for just a few hours and turned into a sleep-over. I got extremely wasted or
Why did he slow fade on me when I'm finally giving him what he seemed to always want?
So, I'm talking about the father of my kid. We have a complicated relationship. We met when i was going through a divorce many years ago and began
Why can't women tell you when something is wrong/bothering them??
Exactly what the headline says.... When something you do bothers or upsets a woman, why to they always become passive agressive, shut down, and
Girlfriend doesn't accept her brother's learning disability.
I'm a 27 year old guy living in London, my girlfriend is 27 and moved here from Italy a few years ago to find work. We've been together a couple of
Girlfriend having abortion and says she needs time to herself. What do I do?
Hello, this is my first post in this forum and I am struggling and need a lot of help. 2 weeks ago my girlfriend found out she was pregnant, we are
I (F, 20) scratched my boyfriend (M, 19)? Is this okay?
As a woman (20 years old) who is not even 5 feet, and who is dating a man (19 years old) that is over 6 feet, one can imagine that I am very small

Featured Threads
Moving in together with my almost one year boyfriend but one big issue
Dear All, I haven't been back here for a while now. I have decided to post here instead than in the "pets" section, because I didn't want to
Back from the holidays: waiting for him to contact me
I am back form my holidays. I went away three weeks. We had two great dates before I went away. During the holidays we texted a few times, the
Should I do it?
Maybe itís because Iím such a nostalgic person, Itís going to be a full year since our breakup las January. I still think about her every f*cking day
He chose his lodgers side so I broke up with him but still love him
I just broke up with my boyfriend of one year because 4 months ago he let a friend move into his house with him she asked him ,and in turn he asked
Feeling unsure after 4 years and before marriage
Me and my fiancť are together for 4 years now, both in our mid 30s, had an engagement not long ago. We live in [B]MY [/B] apartment. I feel
Broke up with gf
So back story 4 months into the relationship. She knows about while she hasn't met my friends she knows of them. I know not much about her past. I
Girlfriend having abortion and says she needs time to herself. What do I do?
Hello, this is my first post in this forum and I am struggling and need a lot of help. 2 weeks ago my girlfriend found out she was pregnant, we are
Ask For Advice