birth control pill questions

ut804

so I have been on the pill for a few years but i still have some questions about it.

1. the birth control pill Seasonique only gives you 4 periods a year. The commercial says that "there is no medical need to have a monthly period." Now this conflicts with some other information that I heard on not getting periods: "women with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) are at higher risk of getting uterine cancer because people with this condition don't get their monthly periods" (in other words, no period = no shedding of uterine lining = increased risk for uterine cancer). so... which is it???

2. you really can't eat grapefruit while on the pill?

3. if the pill fails, and you ovulate, will you get the regular ovulation symptoms? (excess discharge, slight cramping on one side) or does the egg get released and you won't know?

4. so it says to take it the same time everyday. but i know it's ok that you don't take it EXACTLY (like 6:00 on the dot, not a minute or second later). so what is a safe window of time? Can I take it 7:00 am and then the next day 11:00 am? or is that not considered the same time? what about 7:00 am and 9:00 am?

I just saw the gyno today but i didnt have time to ask her all these questions.

anyone know?

That ad drives me crazy. Yes, there is a medical reason to have a period. You do shed your lining each month. I have PCOS and while I haven't heard the claim that I'm more likely to get uterine cancer because I don't get my period much, it wouldn't surprise me.

On my birth control (Yaz), women still get their periods but they are much, much lighter typically. But missing a period or two isn't going to hurt you. I just wouldn't want to go through consistent, long stretches of time without shedding that lining.

With most BC pills, you still get your periods, just lighter and don't last as long.

I have no idea about grapefruit but I don't see why you couldn't have it.

Painful ovulation may or may not occur. Differs from woman to woman.

You should talk the pill around the same time. I would say within the same hour or so. That's a good window. Don't stress about the minute/second.

Hope this helps.

Yaz has worked wonders for me and I plan to stay on it for good. It has those "anti androgen" effects that I need to control my hormones so I don't get all hair/pimple-ed out and turn into a hormonal bear. (haha) You just need to find what works for you. Once you find it, rejoice!

Good luck with BC.

Yaz has worked wonders for me and I plan to stay on it for good. It has those "anti androgen" effects that I need to control my hormones so I don't get all hair/pimple-ed out and turn into a hormonal bear. (haha) You just need to find what works for you. Once you find it, rejoice!

Good luck with BC.

Yasmin works wonders for me too. my skin is clear and periods are normal. but she suggested I switch because this Sprintec contains lower levels of the hormone or no androgens compared to Yaz/ Yasmin? i don't remember exactly. she also said this pill has a lower chance of getting blood clots compared to Yaz/ Yasmin. i don't know.. im going to try it (she said it was a lot cheaper; i dont have health insurance) and hopfefully i dont get any bad effects.

I have read that taking large amounts of vitamin C around the same time that you take the pill can affect the absorption of the pill - I bet that's where your question about grapefruit comes from. My ob-gyn never said a thing to me about it, though.

If you read the pill info packet, it tells you that you don't need to use back up unless you miss a pill for 2 days (I think thats the window?). My doctor told me though that if she missed hers by one hour she would use back-up for the rest of the pack.

I couldn't tell you about the ovulating though, as I never felt it before I was on the pill.

1.) I wouldn't trust only having a few periods a year, as it can raise your risk for infection. It's fine to skip a month or two here and there, but I wouldn't do it too often.

2.) Grapefruit inhibits a special enzyme in the intestines that is responsible for the natural breakdown and absorption of many medications, which is why it is not recommended to be eaten while on the pill.

3.) That depends on the person. Some may feel it and others may not notice at all. it's a case by case basis.

4.) I wouldn't do it at different hours and would try to at least stay within a half hour 'safe zone' of when you take your pill. The closed together for the time you take it, the better(example every day at 9 am or within a few minutes of 9am)

Archived