Normal to feel jealous of my girlfriend's ex?

iamscury

I don't know exactly how often my gf contacts her ex, but she told me a few weeks ago they went to an art gallery together, and today we both saw him at a Salsa dance meet. He and her hugged. Then later on while I was talking to a friend of mine, he called her over and talked with her privately. I didn't ask what they were talking about, but I just smiled and nodded and pretended nothing happened. On the inside however, I had taliban thoughts

Anyways, all I know is that they went out for 3 months before they broke up. She was the one that broke up with him because he was extremely protective, like he forbid her from talking with any guy he didn't know and such.

So is it normal to feel some jealousy? I've been dating my gf for about 7 months now, and I would think that their 3 month relationship was meaningless. I don't know though. I hear it's quite normal nowadays to be great friends with your ex. I still get some paranoid thoughts though.

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

Firstly let me say you are not alone .I and many have gone thru this.

Like you noted it is much more common to remain friends with Ex and keep gifts from them.

In the old days ,it was something you simply don't do .But times change and guys like me and you need to adjust to this.

I recently got engaged to a girl and there was 1 major problem .I could not understand her attachment to the past.

I seriously wondered at first if this is a right behaviour as i gone out seriously with maybe 5 women or so and none kept contact or anything from the past.

So i thought something was wrong until i asked around and found it was quite common.

We need to accept this first.

My fiancee not only talked on the phone each week with ex but one of her close friends was his brother ,she had photos of him and wore constantly a bracelet he gave .

This nearly took me to the point i was ready to break off with her without a word ,but thankfully a good friend save the day.

Firslty,ignore those that say jealous over Ex is insecurity.That i realised is rubbish.

Fact is a good number of us are attached to old ways espically if brought up in a conservative way .We interpret such relationship as a sign of her/him still keeping feelings about ex.

So key here is communication and understanding.

I did it this way.I actually over a relaxed atmosphere asked her why she feels the need to keep such attachment with her Ex up to wearing jewelry from him.

She actually was surprised because she was brought up to think all Ex should be left as friends if possible and not to promote bad blood.Also suprisingly she never had such a complaint before.

Now here is where you find out the truth.Any partner who values their relationship will OFFER to stop communication with Ex if it means saving their relationship whether they think its right or wrong .

Now here is where you prove your maturity by actually saying "my mind is at ease now you explained it and i don't want you to stop talking to them".

I did not bring up the bracelet thing but then next day i looked at her jewelry case and realised i bought her all but a bracelet and she had only 1 bracelet which was his!So what else was she to wear to look good for me.

Communication is vital here because if you fail to talk it over it will eat you.

Most people know that Ex are hot topics when it comes to relationship.

We need to communicate and resolve.You e shocked how many relationships ended because of this and mine nearly did too.

• 3 years later...

I can totally understand how you feel man! I am in a very similar position with my gf of 5 months. She saw her Ex for the first time last week, whicj was also the first time they have talked since they broke up! They dated for 2 years and were good friends before they dated. Now for the last week I have been in the worst mood ever!!!!! I don't speak to any of my Ex's, because that was how I was bought up and then there is a reason why thoses girls are now Ex's. However, through this bad mood i spent a lot of time thinking and I came to a couple of conclusions:

1. Do you trust her? I believe this is the first thing you need to ask yourself! I love my girlfriend, and realised that she has done nothing to break that trust so I will truust her now!

2. Are you willing to put your heart on the chopping block? Becuase you cannot control anyone and their emotions! So you could be heart broken but that is a risk you must be willing to take.

I know this girl is important in my life and I am going to do anything to make her happy and not drive her away! Because that is all you will do if do continue to make a big deal of it of Ex's! Know you are enough for her, and that you are the man for her!

Archived