Trying to get into shape, suggestions? BDL?

i've kinda browsed through the health topics and noticed a Body For Life program was mentioned by Lady Bugg.

i'm trying now to get back into shape (well, i guess i'd first had to have been in shape to get back into shape) and the BFL 12 week thing seems appealing.

if anyone with experience in this workout could maybe help me: how feasible would it be for an art student with a fairly demanding workload to be able to complete this program? our terms run 14 weeks and i thought it'd be a great goal to try and stick to during that time so that i can stay healthy and active and not so bogged down and caffeine-ridden all year.

and also, i probably will not be investing in the supplements that are encouraged for this plan, but someone mentioned that they are not really crucial. what would/could/should you replace those supplement meals with?

sorry if i sound very amateurish, i'm very very very much a newb when it comes to fitness because i have not really given much time or emphasis into it throughout my life. the most exercise i recently got was when i was learning to unicycle a couple years back and managed to keep some weight off that way (it's MUCH harder than it looks/sounds) and doing some pilates-inspired yoga dvd workout.

currently i'm 5'10 and somewhere between 175-180 lbs (don't keep a scale at home so i don't know exactly) and just want to get a bit more lean and perhaps get some toning. would this be a good way to start on that road? or should i try to ease into it by trying something less demanding first?

if anyone could offer suggestions or help or even just encouragement that'd be great

Hey DeeTee.....did you check out the BFL Website as well? There's loads of info on there....even the 12 week challenge.....

This program is excellent.

It consists of working out six days a week...

3 days cardio (only 2o minutes)

and 3 days weight training.....

One free day where you don't exercise and eat what you want....

This program is NOT at all time consuming....

It is sensible....and workable.

The only adjustments I made were waking up about an hour earlier

to finish my workout if I had work early....

The only supplements or food I bought were Protein shakes..

and meal nutrition bars..which are basically meal replacements...

that saved me loads of time with making meals.

All in all...great program!!!

whoever told you proper suppliments were'nt crucial, should stay outta the gym, eating and supplements are everything in a workout, a great body is made in the kitchen.

Time however is always an issue with working out, along with consistancy, you really have to plan for something like this, go through your schedule, pick a time for at least three to five days weekly.

six small meal portions a day is great for the metabolism. Working out first thing in the morning is always good.

If you've been in shape before, your body has something called muscle memory, so easing your way into it would be no problem.

Good luck with it, it's a great routine to fit into everyones lifestyle.

Yes..Simply Complicated is right...

Go shopping once a week....and buy the food you will need for the week..

I did it that way because I like everything fresh.

If you're going to be working out..you're going to be eating more.

I also wrote out my meals for the ENTIRE week during this program. it sounds tedious..but it actually kept me focused on my goal.....and

even helped me become more detail oriented in other things....

Just be focused and disciplined. It's worth it.

you can definitely make time for it if it is a priority for you.

people will spend 1/2 hour to an hour watching a tv program or playing on the internet.. when you could have done some cardio.

time isn't really an excuse.. get up an hour earlier( yes I know people who get up before 4:00 am to do their workouts as they have kids, do not have any other time in the day to do it!) Run on your lunch hour..

the BFL is a great introduction.. however many people do it just for 12 weeks, then they quit. Its important to find something that you can do for life ( as intended in the BFL)

You don't need loads of supplements. the only ones I take are sometimes have a protein shake after a weights workout as it helps the muscles.. its always better to eat 'real' food.

Timing of eating is important. also what you eat, too, obviously.

Good luck with your goals!

Archived