Try so hard, but in the end, it don't matter

I try so so so hard, waste a bunch of gas, and add miles on my car just to apply for places that won't even hire me. I've tried applying for dozens of places already (even had to go about 11 miles away from where I live) and not even a measly call back. I hate this crap. I'm so damn pathetic. I wish I would've had a job when I was 16 (my teacher at the time would not allow me to get a work permit because I wasn't doing as well as he wanted), but now I'm gonna be a screwed up 19 year old working some crap job at mcducks saying "do you want fries with that?" I hate being a late-bloomer. The women hate it, the guys make fun of it, and it flusters my mom. I just wish I could be happy and satisfied with myself, but there's no way that's possible anymore. I'm cursed. I am stuck being a loser forever with no real success under his belt, and no offering for the god which is the almighty dollar. My hopes of being successful in music has flushed down the toilet because I realized that I suck really bad and nobody wants to play music with me.

And don't give me that "it's your attitude" crap (and no, I'm not dressed like a street-bum), I always show up to an employer with a cheery face and relaxed attitude; still nothing. all they care about is goddamn job experience; even if it's something simple like selling video games or working for Natural Food CO-OP. I'm tired of dredging through this crap. I'm living with the stigma of having to work some crap fast food place for crap wages dealing with crap customers and living the rest of my life a virgin because girls just seem to want guys with prestigious, high-income, high-caliber jobs. So I've given it up. My new occupation is now "Loser". I now spend my time telling yonger kids not to end up like me.

My mom's going to force me to turn in 4 job applications tomorrow that some P.O.S draconian employer won't read and just throw in the trash. And the cycle continues.

Job hunting is like playing a lotto. Some people get lucky and win quickly. Others have to play a long time before they win. What other choice do you have other than to keep trying ? You can't be unemployed, and being frustrated isn't helpful. Wake up each day as if it were your first day of looking for a job, and keep at it.

It certainly wasn't easy for me to land a first "real" job. I went through university, did endless volunteer work, led numerous clubs, had lots of work experience, and it took forever (ie. 11 months after graduating from university) before i got a "real" job. Be patient. Your time will come. Good luck.

PS: Maybe try getting a job through a staffing agency...

First of all you are only 19. To you it looks a lot, but I am shure some older members here would agree that you still have enough time to change the course of your life.

You should consider gaining some education if you want to avoid crappy jobs. Make a plan to work and to study at the same time. Find a crappy job to work at and educate yourself at the same time. Thats the only way out I see for you or anyone else in your situation.

For that you need persistance and self sacrifice. It's not easy, but nothing that worths is easy.

Being a virgin at 19 is nothing special. There's plenty of 19 year old virgins. Join the club. And they would all give anything to get a girl. Thats normal for your age. Girls don't want guys with prestigious, high income, high-caliber jobs - they woant a guy with a goal and a plan how to achieve that goal. No one has super payed job at 19!

Hey, Mr. Cynical! Isn't the name of this thread part of a song....? It's going to be ringing through my head all day now!

Alright - I'm not even thinking "wow, this guy's attitude sucks - no wonder he can't get a job."

But I am thinking: WHY are you so negative, Sweetie? I'm sure you are probably feeling defeated and hopeless. But if you can somehow feel a little more positive... it'll be easier to get through each day.

Now... I have to note your comment that you "even had to drive 11 miles to put in a job app." Is that a typo???? Eleven miles?

I used to have to drive 2.25 hours a day (total) to get to and from work. The town I lived in is kind of an economical disaster. There's employment there. But I doubt they'd even hire me now if I tried (too qualified, previous rate of pay from my current job,) they wouldn't even look at me. Actually while I still lieved there, I applied for positions there. I have a degree and lots of experience but never got a call from any of them.

A few thinks I'm wondering:

Have you though about schooling? You can get grants, etc. to assist with living costs while you go to school.

Have you tried a staffing agency?

Are you including a requested rate of pay? (I always wrote negotiable.) May be that what you are requesting is just not feasible in the area?

And lastly, dear.... Your comment about "your mom making you turn in 4 apps today." Shows that you lack motivation. Your mom is looking out for your best interest. Would you rather sit on your bum and be in the same spot in a few years or get motivated, get excited, and find a job so you can start buying things you want and like?

Hey I'mthatgirl! Its Linkin Park's IN THE END you're thinking of I bet!

I tried so hard

And got so far

But in the end

It doesn't even matter

ANYWAY - Cynical - sometimes, we ALL have to sacrifice certain things to gain other things. You may HAVE to take a job at a fast food place to gain some experience.

And actually - I don't think its as bad as all that. I mean, I think EVERYONE I know, including myself, has worked at a fast food restaurant at one time. Its actually an experience that is shared by sooo many that by the time you're 30, if you DON'T have it, that might be more strange.

Working at a fast food place isn't THAT bad. Its really a good experience. You'll learn a lot about keeping a schedule, customer service, responsibility, and other duties as assigned. ALL great skills to put on a resume toward a new job later on.

Don't be so ashamed of working at a fast food place that it keeps you from working all together. PLUS - there are GAZILLIONS of people who currently work at those places and you may have inadvertently just offended some of them.

There's no shame in working.

Where ever you work, take pride in what you do and you'll go a lot further than the frustrated person who won't even work.

Well this metric system we use is not of much help here on Ena.

I'm ThatGirl made me interested in how much is 11 miles.

Thats 17 kilometers.

I went to high school for four years that was precisely 18 km away from my home. I travelled each single day. And when my school was in the morning I had to get up at 6.20 a.m. and I would leave home at 7.oo a.m. and be home again at 2 p.m. I had to travel half an hour to get to high school and many other kids had to do so. It was considered very much normal. And we get our driver licence at 18 so I had to travel by bus .

When you end high school you're 18 and than you can get your driver licence.

That sounds like fun, right?

It's not easy to have to spend much time travelling to work and it's certainly an expense (especcially in Europe) but sometimes you just have to.

Hey I love Lincoln Park, and that song. But the sad fact is it does matter while we here living before the end. Oh yeah I'm the said Loser you've decribed but we all go through our loser periods at some point, some worse than others, and well the harder you fall the higher you rise is my new philosphey.

My inspiriation has always been my dad, he didn't go to college right away but when he did he finished in 3 years. He ultimately became the Vice President of a large corporation as a Civil Engineer. His boss was the owner/president, so he hit the top at that company. He wanted to retire so he retired early (age 60) and was still working on the day he died, planting trees in the back yard (but was lying on the ground digging because he was so physically weak by then). Died age 64. Sure miss him.

Anyway you're 19, you have a whole life ahead of you. Get any job you can, figure out your passion and go study or learn it, then get out there and live it. I'm a risk taker, and well I fell flat on my face this time. But I'm dusting myself off and coming up with a new plan. You're giving up without even starting! Even in my mistakes I've learned a lot about myself. What are you learning about yourself? There are entry level jobs that don't require experience, that's where you need to go. Ask someone how your dressed for an interview (maybe you think it's fine and it's not), practice interviewing with your parents or a good friend. Go online and read about common interview questions and write out your answers.

Obviously you see yourself in places employers aren't seeing you in yet. What experiences are you lacking? That's where you need to start.

Oh yeah in the end it mattered to those he left behind. So as much as I love that song, it's not as true as we feel it is.

Archived