Deal Breaker!

Hi I'm new at this, I've been a member for a while but never started a thread.

I need some advice, my husband and I have been married for 3 years, prior to getting married we discussed that we would start having a family within a couple years, we are now on our third year and he won't even discuss the idea of starting to try for a family. I'm heart broken over this as I want a family so bad, any advice??

I've tried to have this discussion with him, he won't open up, he just says "I'm not ready" I don't want to pressure him into something he's not ready for but I really feel this is a deal breaker. This has already been going on for a year how much longer do I have to wait?

Coollady,

I just turned 29 he's 27, no we are both in stable jobs and financially we are doing very well, he won't give me a reason why he won't discuss things, but he gets very uncomfortable so I end up dropping the issue

I can certainly understand your frustrations over this. It is unfortunate that he won't open up and discuss this with you, especially since prior to marriage you had discussed having a family and he seemed to have agreed at that time.

As far as the marriage is concerned, is everything OK there? No issues going on that would stall his desire to have a family that you know of ??

We had a rough start at the beginning of the marriage, with both of us being new at this we forgot how to communicate, and things got pretty rocky, but we sorted things out and moved on, things have been great!

Is it possible that he is still concerned that those issues have not been properly sorted out and that a baby may make things worse and not better? He may need more time to be sure that the marriage is strong enough for him to risk having children just yet. With the number of divorces these days he may worry that he could end up a part-time Dad.

I feel so strongly about this topic It's crossed my mind to leave him and find someone who shares the same feelings as I do regarding children and family
Well, he doesn't seem to be saying he doesn't want a family at all - just not yet. I would ask him if he has changed his mind about having children and if he says he has not then tell him that you should both come to an agreement as to when and under what circumstances you will start.

Be very careful that you don't give him the impression that you view him more as a father for your children rather than as a husband to you. Few men would appreciate being looked on in that way by their wives - most would question whether they made the right decision in getting married and it would certainly make them question the wisdom in starting a family.