Professors forgot to turn in my letters of recommendation...

Hey everyone,

I am currently working on my applications for law school. I have two professors that promised to turn in letters of recommendation, and both told me it would be a few weeks, but neither has turned them in. It's been over a month since I gave them the paperwork for it.

I emailed one of them and she never responded back. I know our school email system is iffy, and bombards everyone with useless emails, so I'm not sure if she even saw the email.......

Anyways, is there a polite way I can email both of my professors reminding them to turn them in? I'm not quite sure how to ask. I feel like I'm harassing them!

Thanks..

I would send an email, but maybe even call if you don't think email is the best way. Say something like "Thanks for agreeing to do these recommendations for me. I'm just sending a friendly reminder that they need to be turned in by "blank". Please let me know if there is an issue."

You are not harassing them. This is important and they agreed to do it I'm assuming. They shouldn't have taken on the role if they wouldn't have time or didn't want to. It's up to you to make sure that they actually get done.

Hey n83 - Any way you could leave them a voice -mail!?

I'm sure they understand why this is important to you and how their doing that could really help you. They've got a lot on their plates, a reminder would not be perceived as harassment.

If you're concerned about being a bother, just mention it, "Sorry to bother you, I hope I'm not nagging" or the likes....may sound passive but it could set the right mood - "oh, I'm sorry - yeh, let me get on that."

I tihnk a simple reminder with a polite - "don't mean to harp" will be perceived as nothing more than that.....

This happened to me and it cost me $$$. I needed 3 references and one of the profs didn't submit his. The deadline passed and, because of that, I wasn't considered for some funding and scholarships. I ended up getting some funding anyway, but the graduate advisor at my new school jokingly told me I should send a bill to the old prof because he costs me money.

Get on their case! Who cares if you annoy them? This is your life we're talking about.

Can you call them today, like right now?

Actually as it happens, neither one of them are at school at all today.. I already found out their hours. Unfortunately one of my professors is NEVER in her office during her scheduled office hours. She's the one who never gets back to you in a timely manner.

Wow I just posted and saw there were more replies.. thanks guys

Yeah I need to get over this not wanting to bother people thing. It's really annoying and wont serve me well, esp if I want to become a lawyer. whoops..

Yeah, you have to trade in your soul as part of your tuition fee

One of my profs always tells a lawyer joke at start of class, it is good to be able to poke fun at yourself in that sense.

Of the professional careers, lawyers consistently are rated low by the public. Truth is once you are in, you see a LOT of great people, and a lot of good done. Yes, some are chasing after money and will do whatever to get there, but most I know are really involved in the community, in pro bono/legal aid and really do care about people. It really is a respectable profession, which makes it easier to laugh at the common stereotypes