I'm 46 and have wanted braces all my life but put it off for financial reasons. Finally I had to have a baby tooth pulled and have an impacted permanent tooth that they are going to try and pull down. The process started with putting in spacers for a couple of weeks, then the back bands and a quad helix that sits near the roof of my mouth (have had for 2 months now), got the bottom braces about six weeks ago and the top braces 1 week ago. Basically my mouth hasn't felt good for about 3 months now. I have lost weight because I can only eat soft foods and give up about half way through most meals because it is too much of a chore. I am feeling very discouraged and can't imagine dealing with this for 2 1/2 years. Please, someone, tell that it does get better.

As far as I'm concerned, your mouth shouldn't be hurting for long periods of time.

Someone correct me?

Cut your food into small pieces, and take it slowly. Don't be discouraged. I feel greatly for people who suffer with braces so if you need to talk or need advice, dont hesitate to PM me.

oh, god, i had to have the same thing done. pull the baby tooth and get the other down. It hurts like HELL for a while, but once your teeth get used to the pressure, it gets much better. How often do you have to have them adjusted--every couple months? Well, after they tighten them, they'll hurt for about a week. Then the pain subsides and you shouldn't really feel anything until you get them tightened again.

The spacers hurt sooo bad, I know... it does get better

I recall feeling very uncomfortable when I had my braces. It did get better with time. The braces put a lot of pressure on your teeth and gums.

I found that cold drinks and compresses really made me feel better. I would drink cold ice water a lot when I had braces- for some reason it helped.

You might also want to try a mild over the counter pain medicine and a topical anesthetic gel.

Try to avoid foods that make you chew too much or too hard like the hard crusts of bread or very gamey meats.

BellaDonna

I get them tightened monthly and the last go around they cross wired 4 teeth on the front bottom to put added pressure. Right now my bite is so off that none of my teeth fit together, which makes it very difficult to chew. I can't bite into anything. I have another 3 to 5 months to go before the quad helix will come out, that will be a relief.