Sharp pains in head

Hello people

I get headaches all the time. In 2005 I got glasses, as my left eye is slightly weaker than my right, and the optician thought that it was the both of them working overtime to focues properly that caused my headaches. I was only supposed to use them to read, write, drive, use the computer...that kind of stuff...any time I had to concentrate on one thing. I can see fine without them - they were more of a headache preventative. I haven't worn them as much recently, and I haven't had the long drawn out headaches that I used to.

But I keep getting sharp pains in my head, particularly after I stand up - regardless of whether it's standing up quickly ro from lying down or whatever. Sometimes they happen when I'm walking. It feels like a corkscrew going through my head, but only for a few seconds.

Any ideas? Should I go back to the opticians?

No, you should go to a doctor, and give them an accurate description of the problem as you've given here. The fact that these occur when you stand up indicates that most likely they are related to muscles in the neck and upper back, which are the one of most common causes of headaches (including so-called tension headaches). The vestibular system (in your ears; controls balance/orientation) is the only other thing that is significantly involved when you stand up. Whilst poor and incorrectly compensated vision can certainly cause headaches, it's not really consistent with your description here.

I know the feeling all too well... its like you can feel, in great detail, a screwdriver being pushed through your brain?

i have the same eye problem as you, with the stigmatism, so maybe it does have somthing to do with that

I have gone to ER with my headaches and no one seems to give a damn, so hopefully it isnt life threatening

EDIT: I found they got HEAPS better when I was doing yoga all the time and my shoulders and neck were relaxed

I have gone to ER with my headaches and no one seems to give a damn, so hopefully it isnt life threatening

EDIT: I found they got HEAPS better when I was doing yoga all the time and my shoulders and neck were relaxed

In the united states, there is a distinction between the ER and Urgent Care. The ER is for dire problems that need immediate attention. Patients are seen in order of the worst case, so if you only have a headache, you will be there all day. On the other hand, many hospitals have an "Urgent Care" clinic for issues that are not so pressing, but need to be tended to. You don't need an appointment and can be seen the same day. Sometimes also called the "Same Day Clinic." For example, you need an antibiotic prescription. The wait there is not so long, I have been seen in as little as 5 minutes when i had a stomache. I would recommend visiting Urgent Care as opposed to the ER if you aren't bleeding. The charges for visiting urgent care tend to be less also.

And glad to hear that yoga has helped!!

When my headaches have been really bad I have been CONVINCED that there were parasites in my head. I could FEEL them.

its horrible

I started screaming at my ex once, I was terrified that barbed worms were shedding their skin inside my brain.

.... yep...

anyways, by ER I ment A&E, accident and emergency, like, tiny hospitals.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

We pretty much only have A&E over here and you can wait for hours before anyone apart from you knows what the problem is. The pains don't tend to last long enough for me to get worried enough to go to the hospital for. I have a habit of fainting whenever I go to the hospital - even for visits. (and my mum wondered why I wasn't overly enthusiastic about getting a job there).

My mum and brother have astigmastism - but so far no optician has suggested that I have it too. For years I was the only one in my family that didn't wear glasses.

I like the thought of yoga or just doing some exercise. My sister used to get headaches a lot from unconsciously clenching her teeth when she was stressed, and I've noticed myself doing it a lot too, I guess if I'm doing that my shoulders must be a little off too.

Thanks, I'll try out what you all say!

x

It happens. I know not long ago a little girl died at the A&E because she had an infection I think. It might have been meninigitis. She just wasn't seen quickly enough. When I was younger I sat for hours in A&E after I cracked my elbow. After a few hours I had an x-ray, a few hours after that they put it in a sling that my mum had to correct.

Another thing you could try is massage therapy. I get bad migraines CONSTANTLY and get the sharp pain behind my eye (my right eye's vision is much worse than the left's due to strain) and the ONE and ONLY thing that helped me was massage therapy. Unfortunately, insurance only covered 5 sessions.

I must warn you--when they work on your head, it is PAINFUL!!! But afterwords, you feel amazing.