Ha ha ha....I went on a "date" last night. Poor girl. It was terrible. She never had a chance. NOBODY would have had a chance. I laugh, not at the girl, but at me.

I was dumped two months ago and thought a change of scenery would be good. I felt trapped. I wanted to talk about my situation but I didn't. Nothing was happening.

It was extremely awkward for me.

It sounds like you're still in your shell, and although I can understand not wishing to let yourself out it's unfair on yourself and anyone else you expose yourself to if you hold yourself in like that.

I think you probably know it yourself anyway but I think you need to forget who you are when you're with people (especially dates!) and forget your history and everything that's holding you up - just think of them entirely, focus on them, think about how comfortable they are, etc etc. If you can break through any feelings you have that are holding you back you may find someone who you click with, at the least it could be a distraction (which we all need whenever we have bad things) and at best you could find someone amazing who could have just gone unnoticed with your shield of (self pity / anger / frustration / hurt / depression / lack of caring / whatever feeling describes what's holding you back).

Hey - I hope you have better luck on your next date, and don't let it knock you back - everyone else doesn't know what you were like in your last date, your last relationship, your last life - be who you want to be, not what you may have become in your mind. Anything is possible!

• Like 1

i remember when i first would go on dates after i broke up with my ex...i found it very hard (like you did)...and i could have had prince charming himself sitting in front of me ...but because of the pain i went through ..i couldn't bring myself to see the good in anyone.

I would pick them apart...

I decided that i would take 6 months off from dating completely.. no men ..nothing ..zip.

when i began dating again...it felt good ..i began to enjoy myself more.

You just need time to heal...go out and enjoy your time with friends...get to know you again.

most of all..don't pressure yourself (or let anyone else) to get back out there and date.... its ok to take your time.

Been there, done that! I could have had just about anyone accross the table and it didn't matter, they weren't my ex. You definitely aren't alone. Heck I can one-up ya! I went SPEED DATING... So take what you did, times 25 poor unsuspecting guys.

Keep trying. Dating is an art that takes A LOT of practice. I am sure lots of people have had worse dates. Just keep at it, because the prize of finding someone you love is worth more than all your efforts.

Ha ha ha....I went on a "date" last night. Poor girl. It was terrible. She never had a chance. NOBODY would have had a chance. I laugh, not at the girl, but at me.

I was dumped two months ago and thought a change of scenery would be good. I felt trapped. I wanted to talk about my situation but I didn't. Nothing was happening.

It was extremely awkward for me.

The whole experience made me realize that I don't have to get back out there.

Before, I was thinking, "Man, I gotta go out and socialize and date."

But now I feel better about not going out.

The "need" is gone.

I was probably good that it wasn't so good. Otherwise I'd get sucked into another potential relationship without enough time from the last one.

Been there, done that! I could have had just about anyone accross the table and it didn't matter, they weren't my ex. You definitely aren't alone. Heck I can one-up ya! I went SPEED DATING... So take what you did, times 25 poor unsuspecting guys.

LOL. spreading the joy!

hang in there eli. just keep going out and having fun, you'll be back to yourself soon....