I desperately need alcohol detox but I cannot afford it. At least I don't think so.. how much does it cost? I am drinking almost a fifth of vodka a day to keep withdrawal away; I don't get drunk, ever, nor hungover, but I don't eat or do anything productive, have lost 40 pounds and am suffering pancreatitis.

I've been through detox before several times, and I think it was $4000+. I'm already in deep debt. It seems like checking out is a reasonable way to solve this recurrent problem, although I don't agree with it. Only those who have been this deep know how bad it is, and it is entirely my fault.

Hi,

1. I commend you for admiting that you have a problem AND seeking out help.

2. Go to AA. Go tomorrow. I'm sure that the people in those rooms would tell you the how when and where, and you might make a contact or two who can help you. I used to work as a peer counselor at an adolescent treatment center, but saw the adults in detox on a regular basis. Many AA'ers would volunteer and make "house calls" to people requesting help. AA and their volunteers are a free service. Heck, you can look up their number tonight and give them a call. I'm pretty sure there is someone who would be willing to speak with you, and maybe even grab coffee with you this late.

3. Go to local hospitals/treatment centers. Look them up in a phone book or online if you need to. Some offer discounts, others payment plans, and some may even do pro bono work.

Good luck to you.

Maddock, I have been through the thrill ride of detox (though not with the sauce) and just want to say that it's awesome to read your post and know that you're looking for help. At the risk of sounding dorky: attaboy, brother. Good on you!

And yeah, it would have been the easy way out to give myself a "hot shot" and go out puking up an assortment of organ chunks. God knows, I did mull it over. But no, I did the hard thing - I BEAT HEROIN!!! - and I've not only had tons of fun since, I actually remember it.

Good luck; fight hard; keep posting. Please feel free to write me if you want.

SB

You'd have to ask SS about that, since they don't list funds for a detox program as far as I can see.

In my town, there's a city detox center where people can sign in to dry out for free, but it's no Betty Ford center. You might try to find a volunteer in AA to help.

Perhaps if you give your city, someone there will have ideas.

I wish you luck.

Milwaukee, WI.

I found these guys:

link removed

Anyone know if they are any good?

The guy called me back right away but I told him I had to figure out how much I could spend.

They can place you for no money but I've been to detox centers like that and the toilets don't work, they don't give you meds to help and the walls are smeared with feces.

You'd have to ask SS about that, since they don't list funds for a detox program as far as I can see.

In my town, there's a city detox center where people can sign in to dry out for free, but it's no Betty Ford center. You might try to find a volunteer in AA to help.

Perhaps if you give your city, someone there will have ideas.

I wish you luck.

Thanks much, Maddock. It's great to be able to look back at my trail of destruction and know that I accomplished at least one good thing besides fathering a half-dozen or so babies.

They can place you for no money but I've been to detox centers like that and the toilets don't work, they don't give you meds to help and the walls are smeared with feces.
Ay, ca-frickin'-ramba! I hope you find something better than that. Let us know how it goes, hey?